What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best video player apps for ipad

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess the best way to to frame the question would be:
The Oplayer will play a 3.6 gig mp4 video while the iPad2 video player will only play the same video once it's been converted to a 1.8 gig iPad version (in iTunes). It seems to me that the Oplayer is using a inferior software decoding on a superior file and iPad2 player is using superior hardware decoding on an inferior file. Which (in theory) should be better?

BTW I have both but I'm curious about the theoretical potential (or lack thereof) of what is available.

Last edited:

tomy141

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Player for gopro hd hero outdoorcam video format?

I need to check my GOPRO Videos onfield. [http gopro.com]
Which player plays .mp4 files up to HD (h.264 Codec)?
thanx tomy

chelseaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AVplayerHD really is one of the if not the best Apps for video on ipad,

No conversions need to be done so no lose of video or sound, and it can handle most formats thrown at it, well the ones i have anyway.

No glitches or frame slow down, really impressive app

NickHillUK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. After much deliberation I chose to stick with avplayer. The video support is flawless, but I still wish I could transfer files faster...

Who knows, maybe iOS 5 will bring something new in teems of that functionality.

Nick.

iWant my iCloud

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chelseaboy said:
AVplayerHD really is one of the if not the best Apps for video on ipad,

No conversions need to be done so no lose of video or sound, and it can handle most formats thrown at it, well the ones i have anyway.

No glitches or frame slow down, really impressive app

I have a m2ts hd file captured from a high def PBS show using Haupage hardware (6.5 gigs for a one hour show). When I try and play on the AVplayerHD the sound isn't synching with the video. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is the resolution just too high for this player?

Last edited:

flydog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So i picked up AVPlayerHD for my iPad2..i havent installed it on my iPad (ONE) yet...

I threw about 10 AVI's at it.. flawless victory!

I had the OLD CineXPlayer for my Ipad ONE..which was pretty good! even played AC3 audio! .. I installed the latest CineXPlayer on my Ipad 2, and it wont play crap..no audio on more than 80% of my movies.

Those same movies worked in AVPlayerHD

Well..i paid $3.00 for AVPlayerHD and its working pretty well..

so i guess my quest is over.. AvPlayerHD it is.

MUST features I was looking for

plays all my files... very important.
TVOut support

The Wifi Xfer is "neat"..but pretty slow.. its so much faster just connecting to iTunes and drag and dropping files in the Apps. BUT! i love the option.. if someone doesnt have iTunes, im still in luck!

cinder

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
Thanks for the positive reviews of this app, on that basis I decided to purchase it. Looking forward to trying it out shortly! :D

clockworks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought AVPlayerHD and it has one fatal flaw... it can't display muxed (embedded) vobsubs in m4v files.

Killer for an anime fan.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought AVPlayerHD and it has one fatal flaw... it can't display muxed (embedded) vobsubs in m4v files.

Killer for an anime fan.

Don't forget you can always get a refund for an app that doesn't do what you want; just call the Apple Support line with the transaction reference number from your iTunes invoice and it will be refunded as a credit to your iTunes account.

Tim

flydog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also dont forget that its only 3 measly bucks.

I think if you refund too much , especially for little dollar apps, Apple may flag you as a cheap ass. :)

If I paid 9 bucks on an app that crashed on startup, well..id get my money back for that..

If they advertised that they play Anime vobsubs, but it didnt, well, thats grounds for a refund too..

If you think about it, its quite amazing how cheap we get good apps on iOS.

3 bucks wont even get you a happy meal at McDonalds.

but it will get you a Video Player that will play nearly everything! except embedded vobsubs for anime :p

just my two cents..

chelseaboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
flydog said:
Also dont forget that its only 3 measly bucks.

I think if you refund too much , especially for little dollar apps, Apple may flag you as a cheap ass. :)

If I paid 9 bucks on an app that crashed on startup, well..id get my money back for that..

If they advertised that they play Anime vobsubs, but it didnt, well, thats grounds for a refund too..

If you think about it, its quite amazing how cheap we get good apps on iOS.

3 bucks wont even get you a happy meal at McDonalds.

but it will get you a Video Player that will play nearly everything! except embedded vobsubs for anime :p

just my two cents..

Agreed,
That is a great app for the money, and no doubt with an update it will sort the problem.

Don't be a cheap ass :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF

xerces

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, I am xerces and new here. I am looking for a player that has advanced controls (contrast, brightness, colour, sound etc..) for the ipad. Does that even exist ?
See u soon

Most reactions