What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best uses for ipad 4

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
A friend of mine who is new to iPads has just got his and would like to know how best to maximise his use. I've mentioned the usual uses but am curious to see what apps are recommended from a male perspective. He has requested a list of recommended apps. Please can you help?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
BOY, you've got to be kidding! :rolleyes:

There are now 250,000 apps available specifically for the iPad (LINK HERE), not to mention thousands of others that will run on the device!

I would first suggest that your friend join the forum, and then express his needs & interests - also, a simple visit to the APP Store will provide plenty of browsing for apps of interests - looking forward to his participation - :)

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
giradman said:
BOY, you've got to be kidding! :rolleyes:

There are now 250,000 apps available specifically for the iPad (LINK HERE), not to mention thousands of others that will run on the device!

I would first suggest that your friend join the forum, and then express his needs & interests - also, a simple visit to the APP Store will provide plenty of browsing for apps of interests - looking forward to his participation - :)

Well thank you for your most helpful response "rolls my eyes" too. Having had every version of the iPad since release I am aware there are hundreds of thousands of apps, I thought that as this is such a friendly community the more mature users would be happy to recommend some new "popular choices" they have found outside the norm. I have suggested making use of the forum but he's not keen on forums and after this response I fully appreciate why now.

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure these are outside the norm but I like Tom the talking cat lol silly but fun, over drive for library books, amazon MP3 player, a cheat app for words with friends, zite, groupons, Wikipedia app, and wall paper hd, I have the normal angry birds face book, twitter.... Stuff like that.... Hope that helps some...

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well thank you for your most helpful response "rolls my eyes" too...............

Well, ya know that was a 'tongue in cheek' response to encourage your friend to join the forum and tell us his interests - this is indeed a friendly place w/ plenty of members willing to help.

But if he is not interested, then I would encourage him to visit the Apple App Store, and download AppAdvice & AppStart - there are plenty of suggestions in these apps which are well organized & fun to use - I'm sure that there will be plenty of interesting choices for him - peace :)

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
A friend of mine who is new to iPads has just got his and would like to know how best to maximise his use. I've mentioned the usual uses but am curious to see what apps are recommended from a male perspective. He has requested a list of recommended apps. Please can you help?

Well here is one I love.....

Pulse

It's for everyone but with headlines from Popular Science, Popular Mechanics, and a ton of gadgets it's a must have for most males.

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you! He absolutely loves Pulse. Many thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still trying to convince him to join our forum. Xx

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like Flipboard for feeds. Does it come included? I can't remember.

Kindle for books, in addition to iBooks. If you like reading, get McSweeneys app for stories. Also Goodreads booky network.

Atomic Browser for browsing, plus Puffin browser for viewing awful flash content.

Remote for controlling iTunes on PC through external soundcard-amp-speakers.

Twitter - yeah, I know, but the app is pretty good.

Dropbox - simple interface and file sharing between PC and iPad.

PS Express and PhotoPad for basic photo editing - if he's not fussy about results. Get both because on their own they don't do everything you need.

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ian russell said:
I like Flipboard for feeds. Does it come included? I can't remember.

Kindle for books, in addition to iBooks. If you like reading, get McSweeneys app for stories. Also Goodreads booky network.

Atomic Browser for browsing, plus Puffin browser for viewing awful flash content.

Remote for controlling iTunes on PC through external soundcard-amp-speakers.

Twitter - yeah, I know, but the app is pretty good.

Dropbox - simple interface and file sharing between PC and iPad.

PS Express and PhotoPad for basic photo editing - if he's not fussy about results. Get both because on their own they don't do everything you need.

Wow thank you!

iMeMyself

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Depends oh his interests. Some of my favourites are:
For news: Zite, pulse, flipboard, pocket (for read later)
Utilities:speed test, activity monitor, battery sense
Writing: pages, IA writer, quick office, Noteshelf
And .. Living earth, fotopedia, magic of reality, back in time, QI, brian cox wonders of the universe

Rlarson_mn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DropBox, Box.com, DocumentsToGo (excel, word, pdf), free books, YouVersion bible, cam scanner. As you can see most of my usage is directed toward business.

As far as a case I have the Logitech Ultrathin keyboard case that connects to the magnetic side of the Ipad4 and folds over to protect the glass. The keyboard also has a magnetic slot that the ipad4 will fasten to while in the typing position. A great addition to my Ipad4 and one I must say gives off a 'wow' factor every time I use it in public.

Last edited:

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Key a keyboard folio case to make trying easier and makes a more neutral position causing less neck strain

Most reactions

Latest posts