What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best practices in education

roberto03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, i work in an high school that has lent an iPad to each student.
I'd like to know the who's who in using this tool for the education of teenagers.
It is useful to get updates about the best practices in technology aided learning.

Thank you.

NC FX4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm principal of an Early College High School, and recently deployed 2 iPad labs. My students are doing everything from reading literature to creating and recording presentations. We also have several virtual Smartboard apps, interactive science and mathematics apps, and access to a Moodle server for exchanging documents with teachers.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi both of you & welcome to the forum! :)

Not sure that I can make any suggestions or recommendations but am interested in this post, so will follow and possibly contribute? :)

FYI - I'm a recently retired academic radiologist - Wake Forest Uni Med School - so plenty of experience in teaching & giving lectures - good luck! Dave

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have a teen yet, but my son is 11 & high functioning autistic. We homeschool him & use an iPad for the majority of his schooling. There are many apps that utilize math skills. Numerous literature apps for books & reading. Science & place studies. He watches programs on things that we are studying at the time, which leads to another aspect, then another, and before you know it the subject has changed entirely.
Honestly, it's most like going back 200 years to slate hand held chalkboards(as far as showing your work, making notes, writing answers goes) except he has a whole world of knowledge & reference material on it too.
Current events, word meaning & usage, culture, social aspect, commerce, laws & rules, etc.
And the fact that it's fast & light & instant.

Probably the only thing I dislike is the inability to lock certain screens & apps during certain times. For self study periods, I have to trust that he is doing X & not tempted by Y(games). That or seperate user accounts like(gasp!) Windows. I hate to say I don't trust him, but he is only 11 & has issues with impulsivity related to his DX, so putting him in a candy store & telling him not to touch anything except the veggies while I'm gone is just asking for it!

Most reactions

Latest posts