What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto time zone set is messed up

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Last night my iPad decided it is still on Cupertino time and it isn't. Now I have to set the time zone manually, first time this has ever happened. It also now goes to a West Coast server as local for Speedtest. I am sure the two are related.. I rebooted my iPad and it shifted to normal, but after closing the cover and re-opening it I'm back in Cupertino.

Any ideas?
iPad 3, cellular running iOS 5.1.1 no jailbreak and only running on WiFi

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are Location Services enabled?
In case it's not: turn it on for a short time to set the right time zone, then disable it again.

Did you sync it your iPad to a computer before this happened?
Maybe the time on the computer is wrong, which would also change the time on your iPad.

Last edited:
OP
zstairlessone

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are Location Services enabled?
In case it's not: turn it on for a short time to set the right time zone, then disable it again.

Did you sync it your iPad to a computer before this happened?
Maybe the time on the computer is wrong, which would also change the time on your iPad.

That is what makes this so unusual - I haven't synced it in a couple of weeks and had location services on. It was acting normal until late in the day when I noticed the clock on the top bar was off by a couple of hours.

I cycled location services off and on - first for the clock/time zone and when that didn't work then globally.

After trying this I manually set the time zone and flipped the switch back to auto and suddenly I was again back in Cupertino time.

Next I shut off my WiFi thinking maybe I somehow was going through a server on the West Coast but no change.

I then rebooted, it picked the correct time zone, but when I folded the cover over to have some cookies (we can't live by iOS alone :)) and opened it back up, well there I was - back in Apple Mecca (at least according to my time zone).

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have "Reset Location Warnings" in Settings - General - Reset? (I'm asking, because resetting it that way helped some users, but the feature isn't in iOS 7 any more. - Not sure if this exists in iOS 5.1.1)

Last edited:

Most reactions