What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian members: 3G via 'personal hotspot' vs. 3G via SIM card speeds?

Kit_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

While waiting for my iPad 2, my tech guy wants to know which 32GB model I want: wi-fi only, or wi-fi plus 3G?

Now my partner and I both have iPhone 4s. We use the "personal hotspot" with our laptops (MBPs), and get between 1 and 2Mb/sec using the iPhones.

My brother has a 3G-enabled iPad (but a Mk I), and uses the Telstra 3G network. His speeds are around 3Mb/sec.

What are your speeds, if you use Telstra 3G, please? My phone plan has 2GB/month data already—if the speeds are similar, I cannot see the point of getting the 3G-enabled model.

We have a 10Mb/sec network at home (and we work from home), so speeds are really only important when we are on the road.

TIA to all!

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Telstra 3G outside in Carlton last Saturday afternoon - 5.46Mbs download, 1.88 Mbps upload

Telstra 3G inside an old brick building in Lt Collins St last Saturday morning - 1.29Mbps download, 1.23 Mbps upload

Telstra 3G inside my house in the Dandenongs just now - 2.55Mbps download, 0.38Mbps upload

There is a nice app called Speedtest that you can use on both the iPhone and iPad if you want.

Warning: According to Telstra I chopped through 2.13GB if 3G download in 4.5 hours a couple of weeks ago. I got a credit for it but you need to monitor your 3G bill almost daily to ensure that it's correct and make sure that 3G is turned off when you are not actually using it.

OP
Kit_L

Kit_L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
K1wi: very nice speeds. I will try with my partner's iPad 2/iPhone 4 combo later today (we do not get great 3G reception in the home studio, so will be a good worst-case scenario).

And as for watching Telstra... yes, definitely. We both have Speedtest, too, btw; thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts