What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps for Medical Students

Hartshon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am looking to run a research study with medical students who will be given an iPad to support their learning.
To encourage students to use their iPads I am investigating which are the best iPad Apps to use.
Can anyone recommend any Apps which they consider to be helpful that can support Student Learning.
Thanks,
J

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In terms of reference books...check out Merck Manual and also Medscape. Very good reference to have on my iPad. Also, check some of the 3-d Anatomical Apps. The graphics are excellent for patient education and also learning tools for students.

drnhlau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I agree, in fact Medscape is a must have for medical profession. I also use Merck's Manual, I think is upgradable for free, which is not always possible with eg Harrison. GoodReader and Stanza are fantastic for PDF and ePub format respectively. Some medical websites are not downloadable, I find WEB to PDF useful in this respect. A lot of ePub medical books are available over the net (legal or illegal). Other medical books are in CHM format, I used ReadCHM. Last but not least, GoodReader could not handle large size medical books, I find PDFReader Pro very stable in handling large size PDF.

OP
H

Hartshon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I will certainly check out Medscape and Merck's Manual - although I suspect some of the students will already be well informed about these. Have already considered Evernote as I know previous students have used Evernote - but wondering if Evernote Pro is worth the upgrade? I am looking at offering students some free applications or subscriptions as incentives to take part in my study. So thanks drnhlau for the advice on the PDFReader - certainly worth a consideration. I will certainly check out all your suggestions.
I also wondered if a app that allows you to annotate your PDF's maybe worth considering? Something like Notify or Notablity? Although I imaging you need a stylus pen to use these - anyone have any experiences or views on this?
I do not have a medical background and therefore unsure how students may use their new iPad - so your advice is very helpful. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.
Thanks

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to move this thread to the Health Forum where it is more applicable.

Thanks!

drnhlau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader has annotation capability, I find Notes Plus the most useful especially during the high speed scribbling. as it has character recognising (in-app purchase), voice recording and one flip to Internet (with copying of pictures) especially useful if you want to copy a medical picture and paste on your note.

skatejolly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thats apps is too much help ful for my friend who search this type of apps i suggest this and he apperiate and like that apps, thanks for suggestion.

garyMD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread...

Where can we download medical textbooks?????? Med students and doctors know what I mean... The likes of Harrison, Schwartz, Nelson, Williams, Tintinalli, and the like... Yeah and throw in goodman and gilman, Guyton, Gray's Anatomy etc etc.....

I've been trying to look for them but a lot are in either .pdb or .chm format...

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Gary,

As Twerppoet stated, Grays has its book available as an app. Harrison's Manual of Medicine is also in the App Store from what I have heard. I will verify later to confirm. In addition, McGraw-Hill with Inkling also created a digital version of their Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine which was made for the iPad as well. You can purchase it whole or in sections depending on what you need ($199.99 or $49.99).

Regarding the extensions of .chm and .pdb...have you looked at any of the conversion software apps for ebooks, like Calibre? Worth a try to look. Also, have a look at this FAQ of calibre: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html ...it will show you the extensions you are referring to.

Also, Medscape, WebMD and Merck Manual are all available in the App store as well.

Hope that helps.

Addendum:
Below you will find the Harrison Manual apps...

image-537284206.jpg

Last edited:

IFood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can I suggest that you give them a pen and paper, typing on an Ipad is 14 words per minute, writing is 26, giving them a keyboard also means they are focusing on technology and trying to enter date as opposed to giving you their undivided attention. I fail to see how an IPAD does anything but introduce misdirection in a learning environment. If you have to give them anything, give them a stylus driven tablet so that they can note take at the same time, the new surface has a stylus, as does the HP slate and a few others, they are around the same price and the HP and other new windows 8 pro machines can be used as normal windows PC allowing them to be used for productivity such as word processing, powerpoint etc.. I have seen to many colleagues waste time trying to make the IPAD fit, it is for browsing content only which should be done as an offline study task away from the learning experience of the classroom.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IFood said:
Can I suggest that you give them a pen and paper, typing on an Ipad is 14 words per minute, writing is 26, giving them a keyboard also means they are focusing on technology and trying to enter date as opposed to giving you their undivided attention. I fail to see how an IPAD does anything but introduce misdirection in a learning environment. If you have to give them anything, give them a stylus driven tablet so that they can note take at the same time, the new surface has a stylus, as does the HP slate and a few others, they are around the same price and the HP and other new windows 8 pro machines can be used as normal windows PC allowing them to be used for productivity such as word processing, powerpoint etc.. I have seen to many colleagues waste time trying to make the IPAD fit, it is for browsing content only which should be done as an offline study task away from the learning experience of the classroom.

I have seen schools use iPads and I can say from experience that students have no difference in attention to the teacher with an iPad. In fact, there should be more Medical apps for the iPad then the PC (correct me if I'm wrong). There are lots of apps that can be used for Office work, and in fact as a Tablet I think the iPad does touch computing better then Slate PCs. I believe that iPads enhance learning experience because they allow doing different things that a pen & paper could do. Don't get me wrong, Pen & Paper is still best at writing notes, and for doing worksheets, among other thing. I don't think the poster had the idea of replacing all school devices with an iPad, but rather to improve learning experience with it.

Sent from K48AP, the classic

Most reactions

Latest posts