What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apps for Airplay on the New iPad 3 and Apple TV 3

Jenningsville

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm interested finding a list of apps that work really well on the New iPad with Apple TV 3 and would be keen on hearing of other people's advice and experience. My experience to date is...

Apps that work well:
- BBC iPlayer - full screen 16:9 picture, slightly cropped all round but not so much it's a bother, sound fine.
- 4OD - picture and sound fine.
- YouTube app - picture and sound fine. 16:9 pictures fill TV screen.
- Photos app - picture fine... fills 16:9 TV screen (depending on dimensions of photo).

Apps that are a disappointment:
- ITVplayer - no picture except by mirroring (i.e. thick black borders), sound fine.
- SlingPlayer Mobile - squashes 16:9 picture to 4:3, sound fine.
- VLC - no picture except by mirroring (i.e. thick black borders), sound fine.
- BuzzPlayer - no picture except by mirroring (i.e. thick black borders), sound fine.
- GoodPlayer - no picture except by mirroring (i.e. thick black borders), sound fine.

Pros n Cons of Mirroring:
- Pro: enables you to see ALL apps on the TV screen, sound fine.
- Con: only displys 4:3 which means you get thick black left n right border on 16:9 TV- I'd like option to stretch the image on the TV to 16:9, with further option to either distort it to fit (which would resolve the SlingPlayer Mobile disappointment) or top/bottom crop it to fit (which would resolve the movie playing app disappointments).

Last edited:

kyool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apps that are a disappointment:
- SlingPlayer Mobile - squashes 16:9 picture to 4:3, sound fine.

This was posted almost a year ago--has there been any improvements in the AirPlay mirroring for SlingPlayer to the AppleTV?

Most reactions