What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Applications running in background often restarts when opened

misenko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys, don't know if anybody has encountered this problem on iPad2 but I've found out that if the application is first closed and then opened after some time running on background it gets restarted as if it is opened for the first time. I can see it especially with safari - if I reopen it after some time all tabs are reloaded even if I can see previous content rendered for a second or two - but then reloads. This is really frustrating . Similar issue I have with other application such skype (but this is maybe another problem) or iPF application - it starts reload and land on homepage even if I was in another thread before. It behaves as it starts from the scratch. Has anybody encountered such behavior ? Could it be anything with memory management, could it be avoided? Thx.

iPad 2 32Wifi 5.0.1 JB

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes this does happen, these applications aren't actually running in the background, they are just dormant. If you start another app and it needs more ram to run, the iPad will close these apps completely. Safari with certain sites open takes up a lot of ram. If you don't want this happening, closing apps and tabs on safari will limit it.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
M

misenko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thx for answer, leelai. I would say it happens quiet often, but at least it is not a problem of the device but the iOS5. Is there any way how to explicitly say "do not close this app whatever happens"? Maybe any cydia tweak or something like that? Or there is nothing we can do with it? Thx

iPad 2 32Wifi 5.0.1 JB

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess u can't do anything about it. iOS doesnt support proper multitasking .only certain apps like music and yahoo messenger runs in back ground. The rest of the apps are freezed in the background.its also one of the main reason why iOS is super smooth without any lags.

OP
M

misenko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It would be fine if they would freeze but their aren't :-( their lose their state as soon as a new app requests for more memory as available and iOS automatically turn off one or more applications running in background even it looks as it is still running in multitasking. It could save their state to flash disk or something like that and not turn them off completelly.

iPad 2 32Wifi 5.0.1 JB

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't feel there is anything that you can do here except limit what is still open in the multi task bar and Safari.
How many apps do you have running? I will usually have about 8 open with Safari running with tabs for this forum and when I go back and forth to Safari each tab is how I left it. When was the last time you did a restart and or reset on your iPad? It is a good idea to do this occasionally, it's maintenance for your iPad.

OP
M

misenko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
I don't feel there is anything that you can do here except limit what is still open in the multi task bar and Safari.
How many apps do you have running? I will usually have about 8 open with Safari running with tabs for this forum and when I go back and forth to Safari each tab is how I left it. When was the last time you did a restart and or reset on your iPad? It is a good idea to do this occasionally, it's maintenance for your iPad.

Usually up to 5 apps and few - 4 to 5 tabs in Safari. Sometimes it keeps its state and sometimes it restarts. It is very unpredictable. Seems there is really no real multitasking. iOS simply kills your backgrounded application if there is no free memory no mater you want it or not. It is very annoying for social applications such im+. There should be a setting where you may define apps that should never be switched off or at least their state should be persisted on disk. I noticed if I open such application I can see the last state for 2 seconds or so but then it get restarted in front of my eyes - does it mean it's only a screenshot of last state when it was minimized or what?

iPad 2 32Wifi 5.0.1 JB

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess screen shot is a good way of putting it, but it has lost its connection and refreshes. The apps I have running aren't high use ones. Some apps can be huge, especially gaming ones and some websites can be like this too. I have a link that will explain how it all works, have a look it's quite interesting.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/34660348

OP
M

misenko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
I guess screen shot is a good way of putting it, but it has lost its connection and refreshes. The apps I have running aren't high use ones. Some apps can be huge, especially gaming ones and some websites can be like this too. I have a link that will explain how it all works, have a look it's quite interesting.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/34660348

Thanks for sharing the video. Now I understand how all this works. Is there any key which apps are rejected from memory first? From biggest to lowest? Obviously there are system processes which are not killed at all so there could be also some switch for other apps implemented. Because usually the memory gets filled up very quickly so demand for 1024MB is very reasonable. Maybe iPad 3 or 4 will introduce it :)

iPad 2 32Wifi 5.0.1 JB

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
misenko said:
Thanks for sharing the video. Now I understand how all this works. Is there any key which apps are rejected from memory first? From biggest to lowest? Obviously there are system processes which are not killed at all so there could be also some switch for other apps implemented. Because usually the memory gets filled up very quickly so demand for 1024MB is very reasonable. Maybe iPad 3 or 4 will introduce it :)

iPad 2 32Wifi 5.0.1 JB

I don't know which are killed off first, maybe that guy in the link might know or it may just be random. The best outcome for iPad 3 and 4 would be more ram, apps are only going to get larger and as you are discovering what we have now is really not enough with what we want our iPads to do for us. The more we get the more we want!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is supposed to be removed oldest apps first (based on the last time they were open), but I've seen no tests to prove it.

Most reactions

Latest posts