What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple's Official Name for the new iPad?

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I registered mine yesterday the final options were:

1) 3rd Generation Wi-Fi

2) 4G

There was no 3rd Generation Wi-Fi 4G

Yet my invoice shows iPad Wi-Fi 4G Black - Verizon-USA

I guess we just keep calling it the New iPad :D

Vertigo1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be fair, the vast majority of Apple products don't have versions or generations in their name, so the iPad 2 was the anomaly really. It's only really the iPhone which has a number in its name and even then this didn't reflect the actual version or generation until the 4 came along, as the original one didn't have a number at all, the second gen was the 3G and the third gen was the 3GS. Only with the 4 did the number actually represent the generation.

The official name of the new iPad isn't "New iPad", they're just calling it that in marketing material. They've reverted to just "iPad", but it's the third generation, just like they do with all the iPods.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Let's just face it. Apple has messed up it's naming scheme...it will never be under control now.

Me...The 2012 iPad or the 3nd Gen iPad work. I think using the year is actually easier because some people may not remember how many generations have existed...using the year makes it more clear, IMO. I told my dad to check the date on the box to make sure he was getting a 2012 iPad and not the iPad 2. I also told them what price to expect, but there are lots of ways this can get messed up if anyone has old inventory... Gosh...what a mess.

Daylife

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like that idea, same thing with the iPods and iTouch. .

Most reactions