What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Unveils Fourth-Generation Full-Sized iPad

crw1948

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I for one fill that Apple pulled a fast one with the IPad 3. IPad 4 had to be in production when they released 3. It would be nice of them to allow those that just purchased the three to exchange for a four at a modest cost. The returns could be sold to schools, business, or government, without hurting Apple's bottom line.

It was different when they sold the iPhone 4S. Everyone knew that the 5 was coming out soon.

Thanks Apple!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
crw1948 said:
I for one fill that Apple pulled a fast one with the IPad 3. IPad 4 had to be in production when they released 3. It would be nice of them to allow those that just purchased the three to exchange for a four at a modest cost. The returns could be sold to schools, business, or government, without hurting Apple's bottom line.

It was different when they sold the iPhone 4S. Everyone knew that the 5 was coming out soon.

Thanks Apple!

That's assuming that schools, business and government would be interested in buying them. Unfortunately, Apple are in business. If they stand still, they will be overtaken and will not survive. If they update their product line regularly, they are in trouble too, it seems. The history of computer hardware has often been that it is obsolete out of the box. In the case of the iPad range, that is not true. The original has only recently become obsolete so far as iOS upgrades are concerned, and many still find it to be as useful as it ever was. The other models are still being supported by Apple; all of them.

Meanwhile, all other manufacturers of computers and tablets are updating constantly. I haven't been digging on any Android forums, but I suppose the same is true for their users. The attitude seems to be "OK. I've got mine. You can stop research now, until I tell you that you can start up again." Sorry, but that's how it is. The 8086 gave way to the 286, then the 386, 486, Pentium and so on. Everyone thought, and kept saying, that it had to slow down at some point. It hasn't. Quite the reverse. Technology is accelerating faster than ever, and the companies have no choice but to keep up, and try to keep ahead. It amazes me that there are so many competing products. Time and again, good products have failed because they fail to catch the public imagination, in spite of being right up there with the rest. Apple have pulled the rabbit out of the hat. The perception of their products is that they are top notch, and don't think for one second that they will allow that perception to dim. Tim Cook is a nice guy when he's on stage presenting the latest keynote, but at the end of it, he's a hard nosed, ruthless businessman, and I hope he's more ruthless than the competition, because I like his products. I probably would not like him, or anyone else in his position.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Nothing wrong with the 2, I'm still using mine and it's going strong running all the apps that I can throw at it.

The Archangel

Yup!!

Sent from my Tricked Out Glittery Verizon Black 32GB iPhone 4 Tethered to iPad 2 w IOS6 Update From NYC!!! using iPF

Mscosmo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
crw1948 said:

Thanks Apple!

I agree!

Sent from my iP3/64gb using iPF

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPhone 4S was released on October 14th 2011.

The iPhone 5 was released on September 21, 2012.

I don't follow the argument that "everybody knew" that the 5 would soon follow the 4s, considering they were released fully a year apart.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that no matter when an upgraded product is released you will always have those people who bought the previous product just before the release of the new product who will feel aggrieved and even p****** off because Apple didn't tell them what was coming. No manufacturer is going to tell their customers not to buy one of their products because the upgraded version is coming out soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still got my 2 as well, holding out for the 5 in March theory. My 2's battery is starting to degrade. I get maybe 3-4 hours on full charge. I power use the heck out of it though and have since getting it in the mail for my 25th birthday last year in March.

That's surprising. I've had my iPad 1 since launch and used it like crazy, but it's still holding a full charge. Same for iPad 2.

crw1948

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I think that no matter when an upgraded product is released you will always have those people who bought the previous product just before the release of the new product who will feel aggrieved and even p****** off because Apple didn't tell them what was coming. No manufacturer is going to tell their customers not to buy one of their products because the upgraded version is coming out soon.

When the iPhone 4S came out, everyone knew that the iPhone Five was coming soon. That is all I was asking Apple. Give people the choice to upgrade now or wait. The IPad 4 had to be in the production process. Customer Care is the best business plan. Each his own.

1dopebloke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mscosmo said:
Zachariot, all I can say is WOW! Thanks for the info. I may checkout a few of your tips. :)

Sent from my iP3/64gb using iPF

Aren't these the things we get an iPad for? Id much rather just charge it.

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
crw1948 said:
When the iPhone 4S came out, everyone knew that the iPhone Five was coming soon. That is all I was asking Apple. Give people the choice to upgrade now or wait. The IPad 4 had to be in the production process. Customer Care is the best business plan. Each his own.

Wouldn't it be safer to just assume that something new is always coming soon? I'm sure Apple hasn't made their last iPhone or iPad.

1dopebloke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mdholm said:
I agree. All those tips take the fun out of the device.

It's like using a Ferrari to ride thru a residential neighborhood. Lol

solarrdadd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i currently have an iPad2 & an iPhone4. later this month, I'll be upgrading both up to the iPad4 & iPhone5. I'll keep them for at least one generation (not getting next years models) and then think about upgrading the following year 2014 unless something spectacular comes out late 2013 for the iPad. I'll be under contract with the iPhone5 so it stays until i'll be eligible to upgrade.

i've also got $220 in best buy rewards zone points and i've got and additional $160 in BB gift cards i've been holding onto so i'm up to $380 in savings of my total cost for buying both. i plan to get them the same day too. my daughter is happy because she gets my gently, lovingly used iPad2 for free! the spoiled college kid she is!

I am looking forward to getting them both! love my tech!

Most reactions

Latest posts