What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Thinks It Can Sell 6 Million iPad 2s A Month

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

DigiTimes reports today that it believes that Apple has enlisted the services of two more touch panel makers, Chimei Innolux and Cando, to help with the production load for the forthcoming iPad 2. This brings the current number of touch screen suppliers that DigiTimes believes Apple is working with to five, with the others being Wintek, Sintek Photronics and TPK Touch Solutions. DigiTimes says that the reason for Apple taking on the extra hands is because it is expecting iPad 2 orders to exceed six million units a month, which is a jaw-dropping prediction, especially when you consider that the current iPad is “only” moving four million units per quarter. Clearly, if DigiTimes’ sources are on the money, Apple must believe that the iPad 2 has everything and more that the current version has, if it’s counting on it being an ever bigger hit with consumers.

Rumors have also been buzzing around for months about a 7-inch iPad, but DigiTimes says that the word from sources in Apple’s supply chain in Taiwan is that there have been no whispers at all about a 7-inch iPad, which once again bears up Steve Jobs’ recent assertion that Apple does not intend to release a 7-inch iPad.

Source: DigiTimes Apple reportedly adds new touch panel suppliers for iPad 2 via MacRumors Apple Expecting 6 Million iPad 2 Orders Per Month? - Mac Rumors

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Impressed by that sales prediction.
Would imagine they would have something more than just cameras and slimmer form to meet that sort of demand.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well hopefully one of our 24,781 members (as of 7:43am CDT) is actually Steve Jobs in disguise and he is reading about all of the iPad's epic failures on this forum. There are quite a few people here that claim to be able to design a better product than the current iPad because Steve Jobs just doesn't "get it"!

Spectrum2010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope the new screens are much better resolution than the present one.
Also old iPads will be dumped on ebay and Craig's list as millions upgrade..

newfmp3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steve jobs knows exactly what he is doing and why. The ipad was purposely handicapped from the start to make as large of a profit as possible. That is just business, even though I do not agree with it. Until there was competition he only needed to release a min. Spec tablet and that is what he did....advantage of being the first real tablet type product on the market.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Steve jobs knows exactly what he is doing and why. The ipad was purposely handicapped from the start to make as large of a profit as possible. That is just business, even though I do not agree with it.
If you own shares of AAPL stock or are an employee of Apple, you would agree with it!

After all, as the CEO, his first responsibility is to make money for the shareholders and this is no different than any other CEO's responsibility. Apple is definitely not a non-profit charitable organization. The last time I checked, being an entrepreneur in this country was not against the law! I don't understand why people have such a difficult time with this concept?

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wonder if the rumor that a super-duper iPad is coming early next year has been cutting into current sales? If I were in the market now for a 'pad' device, I might consider waiting until spring.

If they expect to be selling millions of iPad II models a month, I'm guessing that the new units will cost a LOT less than the current crop.

JohnMorris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]As the success of iPad is obvious in the market. It can be hoped that the new product will have better features and it will create high sales in the market with much demand for production.[/FONT]

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Never believe the bullshit about it being deliberately handicapped on release.
Hardware was probably finalised over two years ago. Some software as well as hardware was not available at the time, and nor was a discernible market. Working to a strict budget to create an initial market would also impose restrictions.

It's common sense to hold something in reserve but I suspect the camera omission was due to the delay in finalising FaceTime which wasn't rolled out until several months later.

Even Apple are surprised by their success and find that people are using iPads in ways they never imagined. It was designed to fill a niche between smart phones and laptops, not to replace either.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Building a massive touch screen supply chain does not in any way say to me iPad 2 will be bigger than sliced bread. It says to me the company is gearing up for a massive touch screen product launch. Touch based iMac....MacPad maybe? And of course....multi-carrier iPhone. Do you know how many people are going to flood away from AT&T once that happens?? They need as much product as they can get!!

Most reactions

Latest posts