What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple strikes $30 million iPad deal with the L.A. Unified School District

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
australiaiPad.jpg

​
Even if Microsoft is trying to prove to consumers that the iPad is not the most wonderful tablet in the world, with its aggressive advertising, most US educators are far from being convinced. As a matter of fact, teachers, school board members and students alike, all seem to unanimously agree that the iPad is a valuable educative tool and that more should be added to American classes.

Therefore, it’s no wonder that Apple has recently secured one of its biggest contracts in education so far, with the L.A Unified School District. All members of the board and pupils rated the iPad provi​​ding the highest rate of satisfaction so the Apple gadget was chosen to be the only tablet in the program. Microsoft immediately reacted to the news, demanding that Windows 8 tablets should be taken into consideration as well.

But the committee made up its mind and offered Apple a huge contract of $30 million. The tablet thus purchased will be given out to pupils across 47 school campuses located in the L.A Unified School District. The LAUSD will pay $678 / per device as the gizmos will be shipped with educational software uploaded on each of them.

LAUSD is the second largest school system in the country so the contract represents a huge success for Apple. Even CEO Tim Cook said last year that he was surprised of how easily the education sector was absorbing the iPad.

“The adoption rate of iPad in education is something I’d never seen from any technology product in history. Usually, education tends to be fairly conservative in terms of buying, or K-12 does, and we’re not seeing that at all on the iPad.â€

Source: Cult of Mac

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope they will use it for more than playing games!
Is Apple going to teach the teachers how to use them or are the students going to teach the teachers...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wildfire

iPF Novice
Reaction score
$678/iPad seems to be a high price to pay on a $30 million deal.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is Apple going to teach the teachers how to use them or are the students going to teach the teachers...

I'm sure there will be enough teachers who know quite well how to use an iPad, without anyone teaching them.

Most reactions

Latest posts