What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple sets up site to refund parents whose kids purchased iOS junk

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
kid-ipad_0.jpeg

If you are one of those parents whose kid scrounged off your iPhone or iPad and purchased lots of super expensive apps, we have good news for you today.

Many complaints have been filed at Apple and even if the company decided to ignore them at first, they got way too many so the tech giant had to do something about it. Apple has set up a settlement site where parents who have mini techies at home who love to “purchase” everything, can get back their money, or they can choose to transform the “lost” money into iTunes credit. Either way it’s a win-win situation.

If you prefer money instead of credit and the claim is under $30, users will have to submit the exact names of the apps that were charged without adult permission. If the claim is bigger than $30 then follow the same indication​​s but also describe the exact circumstances which allowed your child to make those expensive purchases without an adult being aware.

Nevertheless, you have to prove your kid purchased stuff in order to get the goodies, of course. Parents whose kids have been active on an iDevice before the 2nd of May 2013 can sign up to the site to get their refunds.

After so many complaints, Apple decided to do something about the problem and added more strict controls for game acquisitions so children will not be able to purchase games so easily.

Source: Kotaku

Last edited by a moderator:

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LOL my baby nephew did that with my mothers Kindle. He's 2 years old and purchased an app without her knowledge until she saw a charge on her debit card that was from Amazon and she said she and no one else could have done it except my nephew who uses her Kindle a lot. She got a refund though but the whole point is parents need to watch their kids and find a way to set up where their kids can't download paid apps without their parents permission.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's why I say these devices are for adults only. #ohwell

Sent from my Black 64GB Fifth Generation iPod touch using iPF

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Watching and knowing what your kids are doing is also a great way to prevent this issue. But, for some parents, I suspect that idevices ARE the babysitter. Oh well.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Watching and knowing what your kids are doing is also a great way to prevent this issue. But, for some parents, I suspect that idevices ARE the babysitter. Oh well.

Ain't that a fact! They apparently give their child the password too, so really, they have only themselves to blame!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't understand how they can give a 700 € device to a 2 or 3 years old, without even watching them. The iPad is not a toy, imo, certainly not for this age.

Some of my students own an iPad. I know that they are only allowed to purchase something with their parents' approval, and the children told me that it works quite well.

Most reactions

Latest posts