What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Neophyte...

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I'm a professed PC/Blackberry guy, and this whole ipad thing may very well force me to switch my tune! It looks sweet...I need one. :)

I've spent the last week combing the internet to determine what size I need. Money isn't necessarily a factor; however, I'm cheap. By that I mean, if I don't need anything more than 16G, I don't want to spend the extra money. So, with that said...I'd like to hear some opinions of folks using the ipad, or those with the same dillema and their reasoning to date.

Here's what I intend to use it for, and what I intend to put on my forthcoming ipad...
  1. Very few photos (a few of my little girl probably at best)
  2. Download, listen, and dump podcasts (every now and then)
  3. Entertainment apps (Flight Control, Labrynth, etc...)
  4. Lifestyle apps (Weather channel, Epicurious, etc...)
  5. Business apps (iWork suite, etc...)
  6. Download, watch, and dump full length HD movies (2-4 max at a time when I travel)
  7. Read and dump iBooks
  8. Listen and dump audio books
I have no music, and don't really listen to music, so I will probably not have even one song on it...

Bottom line, I'm going to have everyday apps like iWork, e-mail client, some games, some lifestyle apps, probably a couple books at any given time, maybe an audio book or two at max, and a couple of movies...

So, what does that add up to at any one time? Will 16G do? 32G? 64G? I have no idea...

Thanks a million for your help, very much appreciate any of your commentary...

Regards,

M

iSoozin60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 32gb and I have over 800 songs, 75 applications, 20 photos, over 80 books, and I still have 21 gb available. I personally don't have any movies on mine but I think I read that a movie could use a couple gb of space. If I put all my music on the iPad I would have a lot less space available. But I find I rarely listen to music when I'm playing with my iPad. Hope this helps with your decision!!

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have no music and intend to dump podcasts, movies, and books after finishing them, then 16gig will be plenty of space.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey im the same way i try to save even if i have the money..

i use it for web browsing, i have an mp3 player, so wont put an mp3's on it.. and have some apps... play it safe and get the 32 gig..

or get the 16gb

bluetooth mem card adaptors are coming out so you can get a 32 gb mem card for like 20 bucks on ebay later on if you need extra storage..

hope that helps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
M

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Decisions decisions...agonizing decisions...:)

Thanks to all for the help...I'm likely going to order today...I've spent enough time doing due diligence, now I want the damned thing!

I'll let you know what I ended up with...I think I've ruled out the 64G...that just seems like an awful lot for me...I'd rather take that cash and buy apps and a case with the savings, I think?

Cheers, and thanks again to those who chimed in, big help...

M

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64 gb model and I have over 125 apps installed, over 1200 songs, and over 2000 photos and I'm not even using 1/3rd the storage.

I got my little brother and my gf the 16gb model which seems to be just fine for normal use.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But remember, if you end up buying a 16gb unit and it turns out not to be enough, this forum will not refund your money!

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
haha - no implied warranty with our opinions :) Apps are surprisingly tiny. Books are pretty small as well. If you arent storing music and video permanently, the 16GB should be just fine. Just be aware that you may be tempted to do so once you start using it. Streaming video is still iffy and requires a really good data connection. So, if you like watching TV or movies on the iPad, you may find yourself wanting to keep some locally for better watching.

OP
M

markk100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well folks, it's a done deal, first Apple device purchased, as of about 2 minutes ago...

I am a soon to be proud owner of a 32G WiFi+3G...I figured I'd split the middle, probably could have gotten by with the 16G, but I would have been very angry with myself if it turned out the other way. That, and someone mentioned the performance issue with media being local to the machine, rather than streaming and that was a fair point.

Oh, and I bought the wifey a 32G WiFi too whilst I was at it...she'll be stoked, and I don't like to share! :)

Cheers, and thanks again for all the commentary, I'm sure I'll have many many more questions to come...

M

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
yeah, everybody who doent know what to buy and wants to save money, usually goes with the 32gb to play it safe, thats what i did.

Most reactions