What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Makes Free Download of Messages Beta for OS X Mountain Lion Available

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
64-albums3-picture217.JPG

Following on from Apple’s announcement of the forthcoming OS X Mountain Lion, Apple is giving Mac owners the chance to get a little sneak preview of one of the new features, by making the Messages beta available as a free download (click on the link below to get it). When you install Messages on your Mac, it will replace iChat, although your iChat services will still work, so don’t panic! Basically what Messages does is bring iMessage to the Mac, to bring it in line with devices running iOS 5, namely the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, which seems to be the main thrust behind OS X Mountain Lion. Main features of Messages include the ability to send unlimited iMessages to any Mac, iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, as well as being able to start an iMessage conversation on your Mac and continue it on your iOS device. You can also use it to send photos, videos, attachments, contacts, locations and much more, or launch a FaceTime video call. According to Apple, Messages supports iMessage, AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk and Jabber accounts. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source: Apple - Mac OS X - Download the free Messages Beta.[/FONT]

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A TUAW article said it's still pretty buggy. Mostly hard to get messages to go to the right (or all) devices if you have more than one device/computer using the service.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's a beta :)

You should be prepared to encounter bugs, but if you report them to Apple, hopefully they will be cleared up for the release.

It's actually working fine for me with no issues yet.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've read where some people are having problems syncing with all of their devices, but it works the same as on my iPad. Any new conversations show up on my logged in iMessage on the Mac, the iPad and the iPhone.

There are still missing features, like you cannot attach images, but the basic functions seem to work fine.

Most reactions

Latest posts