What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Launches iTunes Radio

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]
12624-itunes-radio.JPG

Just as had been rumoured for many weeks, Apple today launched iTunes Radio at an action-packed WWDC in San Francisco. iTunes Radio is a free Internet radio service featuring over 200 stations and a massive catalog of music courtesy of the iTunes Store, which you’ll be able to access via your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, PC or Apple TV. The new service will offer music fans access to thousands of new songs every week, according to Apple, as well as exclusive music from new and popular artists alike, before they are available anywhere else, including exclusive singles from new artists, or even a pre-release stream of an entire album. You’ll also be able to listen to special events via iTunes Radio, including live streams direct from the iTunes Festival in London this fall, which is coincidentally when the new service will be up and running.
[/FONT]
“iTunes Radio is an incredible way to listen to personalized radio stations which have been created just for you,†said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. “It’s the music you love most and the music you’re going to love, and you can easily buy it from the iTunes Store with just one click.â€

[FONT=&amp]iTunes Radio will even enable you to build a station entirely around songs you like from the service or from your library, and Siri will also be getting involved, as you might expect. You can ask Siri questions, such as “Who plays that song?†or say, “Play more like this,†and Siri will answer you or do what you ask. You can also get Siri to create a radio station for you from your likes and dislikes, or add songs to your Wish List to download later. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp] iTunes Radio will be free, and supported by ads. And if you’re an iTunes Match user, it will be ad-free. An iTunes Match subscription costs $24.99 for one year. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Source:[/FONT] Apple

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's possible this might finally get me to purchase iTunes Match. Depends on how much I like the iTunes Radio, and how much I want to avoid the adds if I decide I do like it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's possible this might finally get me to purchase iTunes Match. Depends on how much I like the iTunes Radio, and how much I want to avoid the adds if I decide I do like it.

Hi TP - I'm a big fan of Pandora - bring it up on my Roku device in our den (HDTV attached to a nice Boston Acoustics soundbar) and play our personal stations for dinner music (no ads or very few) - also, w/ my iPod & Wi-Fi can play on a small stereo system on the porch; SO, I will be quite interested in what iTunes Radio will offer - are ads an issue?

At the moment, I am not using iTunes Match but own 4K+ CDs and can imagine the advantage of having a LOT of music online available to me - BOY, so many different options - NOW, I've been collecting CDs since 1984, but may now be a time to transition over to streaming choices (even at my age - ;)) - best regards, Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I use the free Pandora service now and then. I use TuneIn Pro a bit more often. I find the adds in Pandora and TuneIn annoy me, slightly, but not quite enough to get me to pay for the add free version of Pandora. At least not yet.

I don't really care about having access to every single one of my songs on the iPhone and iPad, though I'm not adverse to the idea, but iTunes Radio is supposed to be add supported as well, unless you also have iTunes Match.

Right now I don't listen to enough music during the day to care bother paying for an add free music service. That might change as I'm about to move to a small city and plan to do a lot more walking and bus riding.

Ultimately it will come down to how much I use the service, and how intrusive, annoying, the adds are.

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does this mean it just has music or will you be able to get NPR and wnyc programs and maybe meet the press on Sundays.

Bobbi

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
It's just the pandora app. Apple renamed it exact same thing

If Apple secures the same distribution rights that it has in iTunes, it has the potential to blow Pandora out of the water.
iTunes operates in more than 100 countries / territories. Pandora is the veteran yet it is still U.S. oriented.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts