What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple Component AV Cable and The Netflix app

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So on another thread, someone mentioned you can use the apple component kit http://http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB128LL/B to connect your iPad to a HDTV. Since the cable costs $50, I want to be really sure it'll work with the Netflix app and play the streaming content over my tv. Has anybody successfully tried it with their iPad?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sadly the app has to be written to take advantage of video out. YouTube and the video player work fine. Anything h.264 works fine, but the abc app and netflix will only send audio but no video...sorry.

OP
TheBaron

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LAME!!!
Thanks for the info and saving me the trouble.

OP
TheBaron

TheBaron

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can stream netflix over wii, xbox360, TiVo

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have any of those devices. It's also unfortunate that you can't stream netflix over Apple TV since I do have one of those. I guess I'll just try to buy a used roku box on ebay.

mcbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll probably get a better picture out of something with HD quality, anyway. I know Netflix isn't really HD, but I have Netflix through my iPad, wii, and PS3... and the PS3 by far has the best picture quality.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll probably get a better picture out of something with HD quality, anyway. I know Netflix isn't really HD, but I have Netflix through my iPad, wii, and PS3... and the PS3 by far has the best picture quality.

Ps3 has HD content.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com

Netflix's HD streaming to Xbox/PS3/Roku/Desktop/etc is true 720p, 1280x720 resolution if you have the available bandwidth. Netflix HD streaming streams from 2400-3800kbps, at 24 FPS for movies and 30 FPS for TV. Conversely Blu-ray is 60fps. So while Netflix HD streaming won't compete side by side with Blu-ray it easily competes with 720p HDTV, which is the current standard.

Netflix upgraded their "HD" content from 720x480 to 1280x720 in late 2008.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use netflix through blu-ray player, looks great as its hooked up to tv using HDMI, and it was on sale for $99 so lil cheaper then an xbox and ps3 lol I had it going through wii but looks way better through BD =)

TAZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know only the new AppleTv can be streamed to. If you have a new AppleTv you can stream Netflix from the AppleTv so there would be no need to stream from the iPad.

The cheapest route to Netflix on a TV without built in apps is the new AppleTv. At $100 about the only thing that might beat it is a used game console.

Most reactions

Latest posts