What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Apple a bit bashful - censorship in action...

OP
P

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get accused of it all the time, so it's nice to be able to pull it out now and again ;)

I was going to go back and delete that comment as I know someone will end up getting their knickers in a twist about it - you've gone and ruined it now, so it can stay for posterity ;) - No company should be free from any question or criticism, and to say that I personally shouldn't question the Holy Apple just because I own one.. wait.. several.. of their devices, is just silly.

Does it concern you that they might see providing the Kindle app (example?) through the App store, which may or may not provide access to such obvious literary genius as the books in question (I honestly have no idea! :D), is a similar link, and pull the App? Given Apple's history on such decision making, it seems there is nothing stopping them from turning around right now and just pulling it because they've decided it offends them. Of course they have *the* right to do it, it doesn't mean that they would *be* right to do it.

The whole story just really got me wondering where Apple considers its liability (as it presumably sees it) stops?

Last edited:

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does it concern you that they might see providing the Kindle app (example?) through the App store, which may or may not provide access to such obvious literary genius as the books in question (I honestly have no idea! :D), is a similar link, and pull the App?
It concerns me not because I honestly do not see that happening. The enormous popularity of the iPad is due in large part to its ability to serve as an eReading device and Apple would be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they pulled all of the other eReading apps.

Steve Jobs is, first and foremost, a businessman who's first loyalty is to the stockholders. He likes money too much to stop that stream of revenue into Apple's bank accounts to pull all of the other eReading apps.

The whole story just really got me wondering where Apple considers its liability (as it presumably sees it) stops?
I don't think it is a liability issue at all. Even with such inane apps as the Atomic web browser, I have to agree to the fact that it could be used to obtain material suitable to people over the age of 17 (or something like that) before I download it. And speaking of noses, if Apple wants to "take the high road" in terms of its literary offerings, what skin is it off of your nose? Show Mr. Jobs the way you feel then next time you are in the market for a computer.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Show Mr. Jobs the way you feel then next time you are in the market for a computer.
Or better yet, buy stock in Apple and voice your opinion that way. Venting your spleen on an Internet forum serves absolutely no purpose (except maybe to make you feel better) and Apple is much more likely to consider the opinions of their share holders even before those of their customers. At the end of the day, it is the share holders who own Apple, they merely let Mr. Jobs run it... for now.

iPAD@UVA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, Apple is telling sellers what they can sell through their apps.
This is from the Zinio FAQ page:

Q: Why aren't adult titles available on my iPad?

A: Zinio must abide by the guidelines set forth by Apple in order to have our app available on their iTunes store. One of those guidelines currently prohibits content deemed mature. We are sorry that this title, and similar titles, are not currently available on the iPad. They are, however, viewable on Zinio.com or by installing the Zinio Reader on a conventional laptop or desktop.

That said, while I disagree with the concept and seemingly randomness of Apples decisions I do believe it is their right to be able to make these decisions. Just as it is our choice to Jailbreak if we wish to go around their choices.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Actually, Apple is telling sellers what they can sell through their apps.
This is from the Zinio FAQ page:

Q: Why aren't adult titles available on my iPad?

A: Zinio must abide by the guidelines set forth by Apple in order to have our app available on their iTunes store. One of those guidelines currently prohibits content deemed mature. We are sorry that this title, and similar titles, are not currently available on the iPad. They are, however, viewable on Zinio.com or by installing the Zinio Reader on a conventional laptop or desktop.

That said, while I disagree with the concept and seemingly randomness of Apples decisions I do believe it is their right to be able to make these decisions. Just as it is our choice to Jailbreak if we wish to go around their choices.

Well said :cool:

Note how Zinio tells how to get their content, if you want it, on other devices. Not censorship, just company guidelines of what products to sell. In our local Wal-mart they have HP, Dell, and Acer computers. I want a SONY! Wal-mart is censoring and cherry picking products to sell! It is MY RIGHT to buy a SONY computer if I want one.... err...... well, instead of whining and threatening, perhaps a trip to Best Buy is in order.....

By the way, I DO NOT recommend making your computer purchases at Wal-mart, it was just an example... :D

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But the difference is that Kindle (to use your example) is only an app that allows me to read content available from Amazon. If I can buy it (whatever "it" is) from Amazon, I can read it on my iPad (iPod or iPhone) and the same is true for B&N, Borders and the other eBook sellers. The iPad is only the display medium. Since I already have the Kindle app, I don't see how Apple can control what I read on it since I am not purchasing my content from them.

Most reactions