What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App updates

Sbgranny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad2 and an iPhone 3GS
I installed an app on iPad. Since it was a universal app, it was installed on my iPhone at the next sync.
There was an update for the app which I downloaded. I happened to sync my iPhone first and the update was installed on the iPhone.
How do I get the update installed on the iPad?
App was Pepperplate, a recipe app, but the problem could happen with other apps as well.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You simply sync your iPad again... or you can download it on the App store on the iPad. It does not matter how you do it. Nothing will become mixed up.
When you synchronise the newest version of a program will always be automatically moved over to where it does not exist. So if it is on the iPad, it will go into iTunes, then when you Sync the phone it will go there.
If you update the app on iTunes it will be transferred to both your phone and iPad the next time you sync each of them...

OP
S

Sbgranny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. However, it didn't work that way with the Pepperplate app. My iPhone shows a shopping list that was added. My iPhone does not. Hoping it is just a peculiarity of that app and that updates work the way you stated.

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a related question: When I delete an app off of my iPhone or iPad, but leave it on my computer in iTunes, how do I re-install it from iTunes back to my iPhone and/or iPad?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It should sync back to your device the next time you sync as long as you have iTunes set up to sync all of your apps. You can always re-download the app. Even if it is a paid app, you won't have to pay for it again.

Clear as mud, eh?

de NØIU

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sbgranny said:
Thanks for the response. However, it didn't work that way with the Pepperplate app. My iPhone shows a shopping list that was added. My iPhone does not. Hoping it is just a peculiarity of that app and that updates work the way you stated.

Ahhhhh. I see your confusion.

OK, when we talk about the Applicaiton syncronising through iTunes that means iTunes will install a copy of the application on your device.

It does NOT necessarily mean that the application can syncronise it's data between two devices. This is an easy miunderstanding to have.

So, you want to create a shopping list using, say the iPad, and are expecting to see that same list on the iPhone after you have syncronised both devices? This wont happen UNLESS the application is designed to syncronise it's data in this way. Only a limited number are and they often don't use iTunes to perform this action.

For example, I use OmniFocus, which is a To Do manager on both my iPad and iPhone. It has built in sync using it's own technology. When ever I change the status of a To Do on my iPad it is immediately reflected when I open OmniFocus on my iPhone. I think this is the type of functionality you were expecting for the shopping list, yes?

So, it sounds like the app you bought doesn't support sycronising of the lists it creates, although I would double check the app. Is there a help section or user guide? It may have instrucitons on how to sync lists if it is a feature of the App. Also, there may be other apps in the app store that do what you want, so you might want to check that out. Maybe post a thread here asking members if they have heard of one? (I don't know one, sorry)

Hope that helps.

OP
S

Sbgranny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My original problem was solved by contacting Pepperplate. They have different versions of the app for the iPhone and iPad.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad you got it straightened out! And since I love to cook, I am now downloading the PepperPlate app as we speak. (the iPad version, of course!) Thank you!

willywonka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Garage Band Recording Question

Can I record from my Yamaha keyboard to the IPad Garage Band App. Do I need anything other than USB connector and USB cord? Thanks

Most reactions