What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App to learn writing Chinese Characters

M

Manou

Hi everybody,
I am about to start learning Mandarin Chinese and would like to know if there are apps out there that help me with learning Chinese Characters (simplified script).
Any recommendations are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There are several in the store. Though I've used them a friends kids do so I'll see if I can get a recommendation for you. In the meantime, download and try out the free ones.

-t

OP
M

Manou

Thank you, I'll try the free ones - but would be very keen on seeing reviews about on the paid ones :)

OP
M

Manou

I started with Chinese Writer for iPad - I might explain that I am an absolute beginner and start with an extensive 6 semester course in Putonghua on Monday.
So far I like the app - it's basics and that's what I need. I am slowly starting to understand the stroke order.
Other recommendations are very welcome, I'll try to use my iPad for the course as much as possible. With that App I can practise characters and strokes when on public transport to university :)

OP
M

Manou

After one week in university, starting to learn Chinese characters on day two, I started to like eStroke. You can make flashcards with it, it teaches stroke order and pronounciation (all on the flashcard). The downside to eStroke is the user interface. You have to wade through a 20 page PDF file to be able to use it and it's not exactly intuitive. But, once you manage and have set up your flashcards in folders it is absolutely brilliant.
A friend also recommended Pleco - it's free, but you have to pay for the add ons (like flashcards, audio and so on).

tio fa li

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Manou said:
After one week in university, starting to learn Chinese characters on day two, I started to like eStroke. You can make flashcards with it, it teaches stroke order and pronounciation (all on the flashcard). The downside to eStroke is the user interface. You have to wade through a 20 page PDF file to be able to use it and it's not exactly intuitive. But, once you manage and have set up your flashcards in folders it is absolutely brilliant.
A friend also recommended Pleco - it's free, but you have to pay for the add ons (like flashcards, audio and so on).

I have been working with Pleco for one year. I can tell you that it is the perfect tool that you need. specially FLASHCARDS add-on. I am working with testing now, the complexity of the program is huge. You need some weeks just to have an idea on what is FLASHCARDS testing and be able to adapt the system for your needs. But if you want to start from the first moment, you also have pre-programed testing features to make it everything really easy. after one year I can say that I wouldn't go on studying Chinese without my Pleco.

I have paid for all the adds and I don't regret any of them.

What I miss is a forum about Pleco issues. I don't know where to look for.

Rafael

OP
M

Manou

Thank you for the feedback on Pleco. I currently use eStroke for learning to write characters and flashcards and Pleco to test my Chinese writing. I purchased the handwriting tool, the flashcard add on and the audio for Pleco - looking forward to explore more of this App. I do like eStroke as a learning tool for a beginner as it shows the stroke order clearly, has the audio with the correct tones on the flashcards and makes writing the characters easy to understand.

文丽娜

Last edited by a moderator:

marywhite123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hey I'm also a Chinese learner and I use this free e-book
I find it interesting and amazingly great
So I recommend this to you
Hope you guys like it.
英文電子書截圖.png

Most reactions