What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

App to Detect WiFi Signals?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There seem to be lots of apps that more or less offer a "yellow pages" of wifi hotspots, but I am looking for an app to sniff out wifi signals where I am and give details. The Settings app on the iPad itself offers this to a limited degree, but it is pretty rudimentary.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
............ I am looking for an app to sniff out wifi signals where I am and give details.............

I'm fairly sure I saw a blurb about Apple not permitting a Wi-Fi sniffer type application. Can't remember what the reasoning was. You might look at an application named Fing. While it won't sniff out networks it does a great job of detailing the network you are connected to.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure I saw a blurb about Apple not permitting a Wi-Fi sniffer type application. Can't remember what the reasoning was. You might look at an application named Fing. While it won't sniff out networks it does a great job of detailing the network you are connected to.

Agree w/ Blue92 - I have Fing and Net Analyzer on my iPad which provides what is 'attached' to my home network - NOW, on my MBPro, I have apps that show me the networks in my neighborhood - not sure if iOS 7 has a similar offering (or what you want?) - but will await responses - Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple does not allow the kind of programming access to the wi-fi radio needed to create this app. I don't know why, but the justification probably has something to do with security.

I miss this too. It's one of the few things I use my Nexus 7 for. Unfortunately the Nexus's wi-fi radio is limited, so I only get a picture of the 2.4 GHz channels.

Most reactions