What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

app for downloading any file (pdf) with built-in open in other apps?

Davnici

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Ipaders
I'm wondering if there is an app on the app sotre for downloading any file from the internet and open it in other apps. mainly I want to download PDFs from any website and then open them in another app like Ibooks.
Thank you in advance
:eek:

OP
Davnici

Davnici

iPF Noob
Reaction score
does it have open in other app option as for PDF files??

magerb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PDF PROvider for iPad will do exactly what you want it to do. It is normally $6.99, but free right now. I can't put in the link so just search for it in iTunes.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
GoodReader is another decent option for this. And yes, it also has Open In support. As well as other file management tools, like zip/unzip support.

You can either enter the download URL directly, or use the built in browser to navigate to the site and download.

I also have iCab Mobile, and like it for some things. I think the file management tools in GoodReader would work better for this.

Then again, if you don't mind spending the money, both are apps well worth having.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I may be so bold, the default Safari app will also allow you to open PDF files in another app (which is the same as downloading ... on the iPad).

When you are at a site that's displaying the PDF (the URL ends in PDF), you'll get the option to "Open In" either iBooks or another app. See here (in blue in the upper right hand corner):

mezapedu.jpg

If you want to open the PDF in iBooks, press that line. Else, press the "Open In..." line to get a list of apps on your iPad that can view/open PDFs:

bujaredu.jpg

Just another option for downloading and saving PDFs ... :)

Marilyn

OP
Davnici

Davnici

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply but how about downloading from other website which don't let you see the PDF in the browser and you have to download it in this case Safari is useless! however as the guys suggested Icab is good. Thank you all :eek:

Most reactions

Latest posts