What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anyone having trouble with New Yorker app?

Briegull

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree it's the Library update

I've never had a crash except when the library is trying to update. Not the download of the issue; it's the update.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I might as well join this thread - we've received the Saturday-Sunday NY Times for years and my wife reads the paper online all of the time using our PC desktop.

I just setup my own account to read online, but am reluctant to download the iPad app - just horrible reviews in the App Store (and here) mainly about crashing & non-function w/ the newest update - may just wait and follow the replies here - :(

boomrbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's OK

I've Ben using for 2 months and had a problem once. Deleted and reinstalled, which was easy, and it's fine. Same with the New Yorker app...

P

phoenician

wifi and new yorker app

If I turn off wi-fi it doesn't crash, if I turn it back on, it does. Wi-fi is my only way to connect to Internet.

I find the same. When I use airplane mode (no wifi connection) I have no problem with the app. With wifi connection, the app crashes in a second or so. I've had a long and unsatisfying exchange with the New Yorker ipad help people. They should fix this, and quickly!

boomrbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crashing and not updating..

had both. Crashing solved by deleting App and reinstalling.
Updating solved by unloading/stopping copy running in background.

Rick-WW3DE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The application is quirky, no doubt. I deleted/reloaded a couple of times, but that did not change anything, as far as I could tell.

If it's not trying to access the library, it works okay. I've found that if I can hit the "home" icon in the upper left corner fast enough, it will go to the library and then let me open an issue or download the new one. After that, it seems fine.

Which brings me to this: When I tried to download the Aug 1 issue, it said the file was unavailable, but after I hit the "home" icon and then tried again, it's now downloading to my iPad normally.

Briegull

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How many of you are having problems only on MONDAY, when the new issue is available? I assume it's the traffic on the site. You don't need to delete/reload or anything, just wait for Tuesday!! That's when you'd probably get it in the mail anyway.

music802

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This works!

I've found that if I can hit the "home" icon in the upper left corner fast enough, it will go to the library and then let me open an issue or download the new one. After that, it seems fine.

Just to confirm that this worked for me. Click on home and all is good.

I posit that the problem is -- as is suggested by others -- connected to a new issue being available for download. Once I hit home, a message popped up informing me that a new issue was available for download. Having clicked to acknowledge that message, I'm finding the app is again stable, even as I go back to last month's issue, the same page of which was giving me the two-second brush off.

OP
B

bookmanjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've found that if I can hit the "home" icon in the upper left corner fast enough, it will go to the library and then let me open an issue or download the new one. After that, it seems fine.

Just to confirm that this worked for me. Click on home and all is good.

I posit that the problem is -- as is suggested by others -- connected to a new issue being available for download. Once I hit home, a message popped up informing me that a new issue was available for download. Having clicked to acknowledge that message, I'm finding the app is again stable, even as I go back to last month's issue, the same page of which was giving me the two-second brush off.

Well, it happened again to me last night, no matter what I did, it closed up on me and I had to delete it and download it again. Oh well...

Mputzel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very frustrating. I have deleted and reloaded the app three times, and the "fix" seems to last about one issue. Then it crashes again on loading. There should be a version fix by now. Beyond this tech fault, does anybody else get tired of waiting for download of entire mag before you can read a single Talk piece or separate article? Even clicking away to another app puts it in pause, so it's really a waiting game. Paper is easier.

OP
B

bookmanjoe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yesterday's download did not crash when I opened it. You are right, you have to wait for the issue to download before leaving the page. Not sure why they can't fix that.
Joe

music802

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"the "fix" seems to last about one issue"

Yup. Every new issue causes the same problem. The upper left hand corner home button still works for me, though. And I've found that I can view some of the pages (they seem to load in order) while the rest are downloading. But I can't disagree with the fact that this app needs work!

garyinellijay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My experience is that the app only crashes when I am connected to WiFi (and then not always) but it never crashes when I I have WiFi turned off, so I often do that for reading.

Since downloading using 3G is expensive and slow, here's what I do as a work around:
1. Turn wifi off.
2. Open app and select Library.
3. Turn wifi back on.
4. Select New Yorker app from the app scroll bar, not the desktop.
5. Download

Most reactions

Latest posts