What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any non-glass, polycarbonate, or other more durable screen replacements for iPad 2?

Reaction score
I know. I know. That's blasphemy. Whatever. After dropping my iPad while in a thick padded case from two feet up onto soft carpet and shattering the screen, then subsequently shattering the replacement screen I purchased on the final 10 seconds of installation, I'm a little fed up with the fragility of these screens. I'd rather not pay for another one that is just going to shatter next time I breathe on it, nor do I want to pay the (50% of your iPad) price that Apple charges to replace them. Online retailers that do the screen installation for you are not much cheaper than Apple's solution.

So the question is; are there any companies out there that manufacture screens for the iPad 2 that are either a different material or a more durable gorilla glass? I've looked but I haven't found anything. Screen covers and cases are NOT what I'm looking for so please don't suggest that. Both were installed when it broke. I'm really looking for a replacement screen for the gorilla glass that is made of something else or is a more durable version, if one exists.

Thanks for any help in advance.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got something that is supposed to help with that - they call it applecare+

Sorry, never heard of any other screen for iPad.... LCD is inevitably fragile. What you are looking for is OLED but that technology is a few years away.
However, you must admit - if you have already shattered one screen putting it in that perhaps 3rd parties that do replacements and charge a bit more are perhaps not overcharging?

OP
T
Reaction score
I thought Apple Care didn't cover accidental damage? Even if it did, it won't make the screen any tougher than it is. I'd rather not bring the device in for repair every month or two. I use it as a mobile device and since it doesn't fit in my pocket, it's going to get bumped around a bit.

It's not the LCD screen that broke, the screen is fine. It's the external glass digitizer. I doubt any third parties create more durable screens than Apple, unless of course that's their selling point which is essentially what I'm seeking. My point on that front was that Apple replaces your entire iPad, and for slightly less money a third party will only replace the screen. If it's only a little more money, you might as well just get the whole new iPad from Apple. Those are the only options aside from doing the repair yourself.

Money isn't really the issue though, at least not short term. The issue is durability. I don't want to replace my iPad's screen all the time, (which would make it a money issue long term). I'll be using my iPad in the field, the office, and at home. I want to beef it up to make it more durable so it can withstand more force than it currently does. The screens and cases I've bought failed in that aspect, so I'd like to find an alternative to the fragile glass.

OP
T
Reaction score
Wow best solution is to buy a Griffin Defender or something like it....or just stop dropping it

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Not looking for advice on how I should use my iPad, but thanks anyway.

I am also not looking for names of different cases or screen protectors that 'may' work, as I stated in my original post. The one I had failed to help from a two foot drop onto carpet. What's the point of having one then? I've also read too many reviews of similar stories from all the best cases out there. Besides, the case I had was the one you suggested. The Defender. Though it's made by Otterbox, not Griffin. Guess it's not the best solution after all?

Last edited:

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I am glad now that we did not give out the iPad to our field staff. We just went with normal laptops and so far it has been a better experience than expected for both parties.

I am sure the technology will be there in a couple of years, but until then it's not going to be pleasant for you.

BTW: Applecare plus seems to offer two replacements even with accidental damage over two years - I've heard they charge $45 for replacement, but it's better than the alternative. Since it is a mobile device I did buy the Applecare+ with mine.

Last edited:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for any help in advance.

The technical answer is simply; no.

The reason is simple. Optical clarity. While yes, you could coat any screen type with the needed chemicals for capacitive touch, none would give you the visual clarity that glass does.

OP
T
Reaction score
Well, I am glad now that we did not give out the iPad to our field staff. We just went with normal laptops and so far it has been a better experience than expected for both parties.

I am sure the technology will be there in a couple of years, but until then it's not going to be pleasant for you.

BTW: Applecare plus seems to offer two replacements even with accidental damage over two years - I've heard they charge $45 for replacement, but it's better than the alternative. Since it is a mobile device I did buy the Applecare+ with mine.

Definitely not durable enough for field use. It's a bummer because this thing is very handy in the field.

I reviewed the Applecare program, seems like a good option. I don't remember it having the accidental replacement option when I purchased my iPad. I could be wrong though. Unfortunately Applecare doesn't help now that it's already broken.

OP
T
Reaction score
The technical answer is simply; no.

The reason is simple. Optical clarity. While yes, you could coat any screen type with the needed chemicals for capacitive touch, none would give you the visual clarity that glass does.

I think you mean that the technical answer for "Apple products only", is no, because they will only produce glossy glass screens. But the question was, are there any third party manufacturers that create alternate material screens, which is technically quite possible. My Wacom Cintiq has excellent optical clarity. I prefer matte screens anyway. They are far more practical and useful, beyond the surface deep quality of making the appearance of the product itself look good.

Last edited:

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think you mean that the technical answer for "Apple products only", is no, because they will only produce glossy glass screens. But the question was, are there any third party manufacturers that create alternate material screens, which is technically quite possible. My Wacom Cintiq has excellent optical clarity. I prefer matte screens anyway. They are far more practical and useful, beyond just looking good themselves.

Since this is an iPad forum I assumed Apple was implied.

But to your point; yes it is possible, but no one at present has made a non-standard screen for the iPad or iPhone that meets your condition.

OP
T
Reaction score
Since this is an iPad forum I assumed Apple was implied.

But to your point; yes it is possible, but no one at present has made a non-standard screen for the iPad or iPhone that meets your condition.

I don't think I'm wording this correctly...

Apple is implied; we are talking about an iPad after all. But Apple doesn't offer to sell replacement parts for the iPad, including the screen. That leaves only third party manufacturers to create and sell replacement screens.

Of the various manufacturers creating replacement screens for the iPad, I'm wondering if anyone has found a more durable replacement option? Either a different material, or perhaps a thicker version of the same material?

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AppleCare+? Is this different than the AppleCare I purchased for my iPad 2? I bought for my wife's as well but have not activated it as I can find receipt to get the date of purchase of her iPad 2. So are there two versions of AppleCare? Will the unactivated one I have work with the "new" iPad (generation 3) that I just ordered or do I have get AppleCare+?

Thanks!

OP
T
Reaction score
AppleCare+? Is this different than the AppleCare I purchased for my iPad 2? I bought for my wife's as well but have not activated it as I can find receipt to get the date of purchase of her iPad 2. So are there two versions of AppleCare? Will the unactivated one I have work with the "new" iPad (generation 3) that I just ordered or do I have get AppleCare+?

Thanks!

Good questions. Looks like AppleCare+ was introduced in October, right after I purchased my iPad 2. That's why I don't remember the AppleCare "accidental damage replacement", because it didn't exist before AppleCare+ was introduced, and that's why I didn't buy it.
Apple's new AppleCare+ lets you drop and replace your iPhone twice

Your AppleCare should transfer over, but you ought to call in and talk with someone to verify. You also should get your device activated with it as soon as possible. I doubt it will be easy to activate when it comes time to use it if something breaks.
AppleCare now transferrable across all Apple products

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to cancel my iPad order as it was placed only yesterday. After receipt of confirmation e-mail, I re-ordered the iPad WITH AppleCare+ as I confirmed with the Apple rep that helped me cancel the original order that they needed to be purchased at the same time, ideally. So receipt of new iPad will be delayed one day. No problem.

bob2200

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was able to cancel my iPad order.... I re-ordered the iPad WITH AppleCare+ ....
I thought you could order AppleCare+ any time within 30days of purchase (i.e., doesn't need to be ordered at time of purchase of iPad).

Most reactions

Latest posts