What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An in Ipad video conveter app?

David H

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post but I have taken a wealth of information from this forum in the past.

I would like to know if there is an app for the iPad (from the app store or cydia) that you can give it an avi or mkv and it will convert it and spit out a good mp4 that i can then move and use in the native video app.

I understand you can do this on computer but I only have a notebook that can't cope with converting and I am assuming the iPad 3 is far more advanced.
And I also understand that I use VLC but all my files are blue ray quality and vlc/the iPad can't handle them as they are which is why I need to convert them

I really want to make use of this amazing display especially for watching Spartacus which I already own on blu ray and even tried to buy it again only to find out that it's not even in the iTunes store.

Its proberly a long shot as the clever people who make apps will never of had this problem to need to fix it but if any one can help I would be very grateful.

Thanks

David

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Converting on the iPad would be a timely process it also would be costly. Why not get an app that can play avi or mkv, that way, you can just move those to your iPad and play them without conversion? I don't think you want to transcode on an iPad and even if you could, your iPad would be tied up like brick waiting to get done.

AVPlayerHD can play your mkvs or AVIs or mp4s. There are several others, but this is what I use so that is why I mention it. It has many features, too, such as using wifi to transfer the file to your iPad from your PC/Mac.

I use AnyDVDHD and Handbrake on a PC to rip my blu-rays into m4vs that I can then transfer to my iPad. I also use MakeMKV Beta (it is free in beta form) to make an MKV from a blu-ray. Those too can be converted to m4v for playing on the iPad. The problem with using MakeMKV to get your rip is that it doesn't compress, so from a blu-ray the file will be very large. Use handbrake to get compressed so the file size will be under 2GB. I usually get mine down to 1.2 GB.

D

dvdcatalyst

I would like to know if there is an app for the iPad (from the app store or cydia) that you can give it an avi or mkv and it will convert it and spit out a good mp4 that i can then move and use in the native video app.

Hi David,

Welcome to the forums :)

Converting videos on the iPad will likely be slower than if you would do it on your laptop. The processor, while optimized for hardware video encoding (recording from camera) and decoding (playback of videos), I am unaware of any app that would actually make use of both of them, and even then it wouldn't be quick. Like all other tablets, the iPad was designed for low-battery-usage, and if there is one thing that really maxes out a processor, its video conversion.

Your best bet would be to do your conversions on the laptop, and just let it run overnight. Maybe an episode per evening if your laptop is slow.

If your files are MKV and are already using H264 for the video, you could use an app called XenonMKV ( Home | XenonMKV )

which will change them into an MP4, but doesn't actually convert the video, so even an older system can convert your files in a reasonable amount of time. It will change the audio, so if the audio format of your videos is in an unsupported format, it will change that.

Another option, and this is if the settings used for the video format in your files is not hardware-compatible with the iPad, is to use use a full converter.

As mentioned in a previous reply to your question, Handbrake is one option, but you could also use DVD Catalyst 4 for the job. For older computers, it includes a "fast" conversion mode, which should result in good-looking videos for your iPad in a reasonable amount of time, even on an older computer.

You can find more information here:

http://www.ipadforums.net/dvd-catalyst/79710-dvd-ipad3-quick-easy.html

RobertoSchmee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iMovie is what I want it for. iMovie won't import avi to edit so I need to convert avi's on the camera roll to mov or mp4 so they can be edited in iMovie.

happy123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
apple-zones.blogspot.com
Hello, this is my first post but I have taken a wealth of information from this forum in the past.

I understand you can do this on computer but I only have a notebook that can't cope with converting and I am assuming the iPad 3 is far more advanced.
And I also understand that I use VLC but all my files are blue ray quality and vlc/the iPad can't handle them as they are which is why I need to convert them

I really want to make use of this amazing display especially for watching Spartacus which I already own on blu ray and even tried to buy it again only to find out that it's not even in the iTunes store.

Its proberly a long shot as the clever people who make apps will never of had this problem to need to fix it but if any one can help I would be very grateful.

Thanks

David
I have used video converter before, I do not use it for iPad,but I think it is also can convert avi or mkv to mp4 or other formats,the video converter which I used is leawo video covnerter,I think you can have a try,I heard that the wondershare is also good!compare the two and choose one!

Most reactions

Latest posts