What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazon Instant Video App

ecruRabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Amazon Instant Video App on my Ipad2 will not load. It continues to indicate a "Network Error. Please retry." But, no matter how many times I hit the "Retry" button, it will not load. I have tried closing all open Apps; I have restarted the Ipad twice; and I have rebooted the Internet. The App still will not load. Any ideas? And, if I delete the App (with the plan of reinstalling), will I loose all the movies in my library? They are saved in the cloud, but they load to the "library" of this App?

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
you will want to delete the app and reinstall from the app store on the ipad. make sure to do the cold boot of the ipad (hold down Home and Sleep until the apple logo comes up). deleting the app will not delete any video. they are stored to your account. all the amazon app does is stream, like Netflix. I use it as well, and have had to delete it.

OP
E

ecruRabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you will want to delete the app and reinstall from the app store on the ipad. make sure to do the cold boot of the ipad (hold down Home and Sleep until the apple logo comes up). deleting the app will not delete any video. they are stored to your account. all the amazon app does is stream, like Netflix. I use it as well, and have had to delete it.

OK. Thank you very much for your helpful response! And, thank you for taking time to respond. Much appreciated!

OP
E

ecruRabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unlike on Netflix, you can buy movies and shows from Amazon. Purchased movies should always be available to you for (re)downloading from Amazon's cloud.

If you've purchased movies or shows from Amazon and have downloaded them, even if your iPad got wiped out, you could just reload your movies.

I didn't download--at least I don't think. That are saved to the cloud I know; but, I don't think I ever downloaded to my device. Just streamed them through the Amazon App from the cloud.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unlike on Netflix, you can buy movies and shows from Amazon. Purchased movies should always be available to you for (re)downloading from Amazon's cloud.

If you've purchased movies or shows from Amazon and have downloaded them, even if your iPad got wiped out, you could just reload your movies.

Added: If you want to check what's on your device vs. what's in Amazon's cloud, tap on Library and you can toggle between what's downloaded vs. not (labeled as Device or Cloud). I download only if I want to watch something without an online connection.

Last edited:
OP
E

ecruRabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Added: If you want to check what's on your device vs. what's in Amazon's cloud, tap on Library and you can toggle between what's downloaded vs. not (labeled as Device or Cloud). I download only if I want to watch something without an online connection.

Got it. They are not saved to my device, just to the cloud. Thanks again!

OP
E

ecruRabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Would they not still be available if saved to the cloud?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would they not still be available if saved to the cloud?

Sure, you can access the movies via cloud, but only as long as you've got an online connection. If you're getting on a plane or on a car, for instance, you might not have a connection. That's why I'll download movies, for example.

Even with unlimited data on my iPad, I'm not going to stream a movie via 3G/LTE unless I have to. And for people with limited data, it's unlikely you'll want to eat up all your data by streaming a movie. In those cases, you can plan ahead and download your movie(s) via wifi before you leave home. That's one reason that Amazon offers you the choice of downloading or streaming.

OP
E

ecruRabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure, you can access the movies via cloud, but only as long as you've got an online connection. If you're getting on a plane or on a car, for instance, you might not have a connection. That's why I'll download movies, for example.

Even with unlimited data on my iPad, I'm not going to stream a movie via 3G/LTE unless I have to. And for people with limited data, it's unlikely you'll want to eat up all your data by streaming a movie. In those cases, you can plan ahead and download your movie(s) via wifi before you leave home. That's one reason that Amazon offers you the choice of downloading or streaming.

Understood. Thanks so much. You have been very helpful

OP
E

ecruRabbit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This forum rocks. Thank you all for the help. Love that this exists! So helpful every time. Thanks!

Most reactions