What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AirPrint Not Working for iPad Only

gmosley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Brother DCP-L2540DW laser printer connected to my home network. Various devices have been printing to it wirelessly for ages. All of a sudden, the iPad Pro can't find it when it searches for a printer via AirPrint (trying to print a Word doc). Two iPhones (XR, 13 Pro), a Chromebook, and a Windows 11 PC can all print wirelessly with no problem.
Any ideas on how to get the iPad working again?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a Brother DCP-L2540DW laser printer connected to my home network. Various devices have been printing to it wirelessly for ages. All of a sudden, the iPad Pro can't find it when it searches for a printer via AirPrint (trying to print a Word doc). Two iPhones (XR, 13 Pro), a Chromebook, and a Windows 11 PC can all print wirelessly with no problem.
Any ideas on how to get the iPad working again?
Try bringing the iPad Pro closer to your router. It may be using the 5 GHz band which can cause this kind of problem.

OP
G

gmosley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try bringing the iPad Pro closer to your router. It may be using the 5 GHz band which can cause this kind of problem.
Thanks, but the network is 2.4 GHz and I was about 2 feet from the router while trying everything I could think of, including reinstalling the wi-fi support for the printer.

OP
G

gmosley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem solved. The problem appears to have been with my printer. I did a complete uninstall followed by a reinstall from scratch which involved re-registering the wi-fi LAN access. Still not sure how it got lost in the first place as it's been working for years. Working now, though, so I'll declare victory. Still not sure why opening a Word doc (e-mail attachment) on the iPad doesn't present a Print option. I did find a Brother app that supplies the function, though, so all's well that ends well.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For general info. You can download and use Microsoft Office apps for free. They will let you view files without having a license/account, and I’m pretty sure you can print as well. On smaller devices like the iPad Mini and iPhone, you can edit (with limited features) for free. Or so it was last time I checked.

Since I now have an Offide 365 account, I can’t check to make sure this is still all true.

OP
G

gmosley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Office apps are free for 9.7" devices (iPad Pro) and that's what I have. Opening a doc file with Word is fine. Print is available. However, the case I encountered was opening a doc file that was an attachment to a (GMail) e-mail. It's not opened by Word, but by an Apple file function, apparently, and that's what doesn't have the Print option, for some reason or other.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes. Apple uses quick view by default when showing files in Mail. Works fine for PDF and a few other formats. It's readable but poorly formated for most .docx files.

After it opens in quick view you should see the usual share icon at the top right. Tap it and look for Word. If you don't see it swipe the app list left until you see the More icon, three dots. This should show most of your apps, at least the ones that can be used to open files. Alternatively you can use the share sheet to save the document to Files, then open Word to browse and open it. If you've added your OneDrive account to Files, that's the easiest way to get to it once in Word.

You can also long press on the document icon (or thumbnail) in Mail and choose Share from the pop-up menu. The rest is the same.

Sometimes, for reasons that escape me, I'll need to do this twice to open a document in Word. Also, the Office documents don't really copy the file over this way. You'll have to save the file before it becomes editable. Word will prompt you to do this.

I wasn't sure what screen size the Office Apps were still free for, so I played it safe with the Mini and iPhone.

Note: When viewing More apps in the Share Sheet, you can choose Edit, then move apps you'd like to see more often to favorites. This helps insure that compatible apps can be found when you use the Share Sheet. It's not a guarantee though. If iPadOS does not think the app is compatible with the file, it won't show it in Favorites. It's mostly up to the developer to make sure their app is registered as compatible with various app types, so it should be a problem with Microsoft and their formats.

OP
G

gmosley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fortunately, I found a Brother app (iPrint&Share) that works just about perfectly for me.
Thanks for all the ideas and info.

Most reactions