What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airplay Mirroring with iPad2 and Apple TV

jcaru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed when mirroring your ipad with apple tv using airplay the viewable screen is much smaller than the projector actually projects? If i plug the ipad into the same projector with the video adapter it is much closer to the actual size of the projector screen. Is this a glitch with the apple tv and airplay, or is there a setting i can change on the apple tv or ipad to fix this.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

9xpapa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great question! I'm looking a purchasing one for Christmas and I'm not sure of all the benefits of Apple TV.

OP
J

jcaru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, i think it's a pretty good question, but 331 view and yet no responses. Come on people someone out there has to know something.

DocPhyz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May be because the question is not posed clearly, and/or because most of us use AirPlay with an HDMI HDTV, not an HDMI projector. By video adapter do you mean the Apple VGA adapter or the Apple Digital (HDMI) adapter? I have both adapters, but no HDMI equipped projector, so will compare the AirPlay mirrored image on my TV and the HDMI adapter direct image on that TV when I have time and get back to you. Will that do you any good?

OP
J

jcaru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well if it isn't clear, i'm glad you at least asked. These are being used in a school with Mitsubishi projectors. I can get more specific if needed. But some are HDMI and others are not, but we have the same results with both.
The Apple TV is plugged into the projector with and HDMI cable or the Konex HDMI - VGA adapter.
The video adapter i'm talking about is i think the Apple VGA adapter. This one plugs into a VGA cable that runs directly into the projector (Not HDMI).
I haven't compare the two side by side, but I think the picture is comparable, but using the VGA adapter and not the Apple TV the screen is much larger.

DocPhyz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aha, as I thought - an apples and oranges comparison. I wouldn't expect a VGA and an HDMI image to necessarily be the same on a display device. Different standards. But you might find adjustments on the projectors and/or your converter that will make them more alike -- not in the iPad. Most projectors have a ton of image options in the menus.

The AirPlay > Apple TV > HDMI input image on my 42" HDTV was the same size as the Digital adapter > HDMI input image on the same TV, and both were 4:3, not 16:9, so there were black bars on both sides.

Good luck in solving your problem. I guess I'm glad the only projector I use is an XGA model with only a VGA input connector -- makes things much simpler.

DocPhyz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried mirroring the iPad to the "PC" VGA input on that HDTV using the Apple VGA adapter. Same results -- image is the same size as the 4:3 images I got with the HDMI connections. So the solution must be with those Mitsubishi projectors.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is normal behavior for mirroring. Once in Airplay video playback, it will adjust to the aspect ratio of the video playing. Pure screen mirroring gives you the black border because the iPad is not the same dimension as the TV is 16:9 v's approx. 4:3 of the iPad. Unless your TV or projector can zoom in or something, there are no settings on the iPad/Apple TV that will do that.

Most reactions