What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advanced mail syncing, please help

itzfry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my outlook account configured on my iPad. I also have iTunes flagged to sync the account. I get mail instantly on my iPad and outlook as well (or when I open outlook and download them). What I am trying to do now is two things.

* When I read a message (or move it out of my inbox) in outlook, i want the mail to be flagged as read on my iPad. I have tried to 'replace information on next sync' option but this does not help. I am forced one by one marking each mail on the iPad as read to clear the new email counter.

* In addition to the above, I would like to understand the options for removing older emails from the iPad. I would like to control this again from the sync above but right now it just seems the iPad is randomly keeping emails it received from my pop account and I dont understand what is being considered to be retained (e.g. doesn't seem affected by sync, not sure if it keeps x amount of emails, or keeps emails based on date).

Thanks in advance!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How have you got set...

'Settings', 'Mail, Contacts, Calendar', 'Accounts', (choose the appropriate account), 'Advanced', 'Delete Mail from Server' ->????

Tim

OP
I

itzfry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One down..

Thanks, I had it set to 'after one week'. I assume I could put never or extend the time. However, how about the handling from Outlook. I would really like outlook to control the 'read' factor and/or be the variable on when to move the files out of the inbox on the iPad.

Thoughts?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you using POP or IMAP as the protocol to receive emails in the iPad's native email Mail app?

Tim

OP
I

itzfry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More info

Pop mail on naitive mail app...

Thanks!

OP
I

itzfry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any advice?

Still trying to understand how I can control the 'read mail' indicator via syncing via iTunes...

THanks in advance - John

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
The problem you are facing is due to the protocol used: Pop over imap...

Pop mail is a bit annoying when retreiving mail since you have to download the message from the server, and by default, deleting it from the server. Then, the option to leave the mail on the server after downloading it came, making it a bit easier to have several computers/devices to be able to download the message. But in the end, since pop accounts were quite limited on server space, you still need one of the device to delete the emails so you won't bust the space limit (20Mb)... But the most annoying thing with pop is that the "read flag" is not available.

Then we had webmail services, making it easier to access our emails and have the same "view" on them whatever computer that was used. At least, if you had read an email, it would show up from another computer.

And IMAP services were available! Complete sync of emails, over several devices/computers. In general, space limit is much higher since it is assumed that your emails will be kept on the server. So you should validate if your service is providing IMAP protocol and use that one instead...

If only pop is available, I would suggest making a transition over an IMAP enabled service like Google. Of course, the transition is annoying at first, but you can configure Google (for example) to retrieve your emails from your pop account, ensuring that you won't loose emails in the transition.

iTunes should not be used to sync emails has the iDevices can do so by themselves. You're just adding an unneeded 5th wheel to your cart.

VicoPad addict!

Last edited:

TJMay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An excellent explanation of POP vs IMAP.

Thank you...

Tommy

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have "several" gmail accounts. One of my gmail accounts is my main account. The second main account is shaw.ca. My Shawmail also opens on my main gmail account as well as on my Shaw site. I must have all the setting done right, despite my lack of skill.

It would seem to me that it makes sense to have ALL of my accounts open in my main gmail....rather than log into a plethora of rarely used gmail accounts to check for mail.

Where I get confused is in POP and IMAP. Yes, I have read the instructions... but when it comes to actually working in the settings section I'm just not sure I'm checking off the right boxes (enable - not enable). Do you have time to look at your gmail settings and tell me which boxes you checked and unchecked to have the system work correctly.

It is apparent Google thinks IMAP is best.

What are your thoughts in having all my gmail identities re directed to my main Google Gmail sign in. Is it an efficient or bad idea? If you tell me to leave it alone and keep them all separate, I am going to need you to tell me which boxes to uncheck.

buy the way, I have an iPad, a BIG PC and a Samsung cell phone.

Thank you for your time.

Most reactions

Latest posts