What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accessing my Router in Safari (or any other browser)

Reaction score
I have a router in my local network and I can access it by typing its IP in my browsers either in the same network or via internet. When I use my iPad (using Safari) in my own network, I can access the router. (In this case I just type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and it works just fine.) But when I want to access it from outside my local network (i.e. by internet) it doesn't work. To access it from internet I should type (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080) into the address bar. This works on my laptop which runs windows 7 but not on my iPad. Why? How can I fix this? Is there any way to access the router by my iPad?

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You don't say what make of router you have. It would help others help you if you post the name.

If it happens to be a Netgear, then there is an app for the iPad, and a Windows program for the desktop PC. I find them very easy to use.

If it's not a Netgear, post the tupe here and I am sure others will be glad to help you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Let me make sure I understand.

You can access your router remotely (off your network) via an IP address in your laptop's browser, but the same IP address does not work on the iPad in the same remote location?

Both work locally, on your network.

----------------------

My best guess is that your laptop is connecting using a VPN (virtual private network). A VPN can be used to tunnel to another network, and connect to it as if you were local. If your laptop is doing this, then as far as it is concerned it is on your home network, no matter where it's physically located.

There are VPN solutions for iPads as well, which might solve this issue for the iPad, even if it's not why the laptop is working.

At any rate, even if your laptop is not using VPN, you should be using it for this kind of thing. Having an open IP address to your router that just anyone can connect to, and try to login to, is a major security problem.

Most reactions

Latest posts