What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4G experiences?

OP
E

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pretty nice, hey? I would hope these posts don't cause a ruckus down at Clear and cost
us our newly found boons. Are we even Zune? lol

My first thought was that Clear themselves were responsible. If you browse their forums, you'll find that the iSpot was something of a failure for them. The iSpot differs from their Spot in that it filters out non-Apple MAC addresses, but it had a huge problem - the device rejects a lot of actual Apple devices. They might have just disabled MAC filtering as a fix before they dumped all of them.

SeaRat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A thought occurs; when I first got my iSpot it linked to my iPad immediately, but upon
turning it off and back on later it would not connect. On my second call to Clear's tech
line I got a level 2 tech guy who had me do a hard reboot, i.e. holding the On/off switch
'til the thing squeaked (figuratively) and then trying again, at which point all became as
it should be. Do you think that possibly this procedure had the effect of 'clearing' (sorry)
the MAC filtering in the factory set-up? Also, I'm LIKING this thing.

OP
E

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A thought occurs; when I first got my iSpot it linked to my iPad immediately, but upon
turning it off and back on later it would not connect. On my second call to Clear's tech
line I got a level 2 tech guy who had me do a hard reboot, i.e. holding the On/off switch
'til the thing squeaked (figuratively) and then trying again, at which point all became as
it should be. Do you think that possibly this procedure had the effect of 'clearing' (sorry)
the MAC filtering in the factory set-up? Also, I'm LIKING this thing.

I don't know, but your problem is the exact symptom everyone has with the MAC filteirng problem: it works out of the box and stops working after the first re-boot. I'd have been able to test this since I had no problem with MAC filtering (my MAC is listed on Clear's forum as one of the working prefixes) but I did the hard reset as well, to wipe a WPA2 password I set and forgot.

I do like the device - it's so much better than 3G and the ability to share the connection is handy. At a meeting on Thursday I used it to remote into my desktop at home and, unbeknownst to me, several people had gone online. When the meeting was over and I turned it off, there were several startled "Hey!"s :)

Most reactions