What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.3.1 UNTETHERED JAILBREAK TUTORIAL RedSn0w MAC & WINDOWS iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad

MonoJoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try googling macstories iOS 4.3.1 for a direct link to the files. However if you already have 4.3.1 installed you only need to point to that during the jailbreak process to complete. And yes the location of the file is irrelevant you can browse to it using the JB software. If the files download from macstories as zip it must be your browser as I got them no problems and they're definitely .ipsw. Do you have the link to the iclarified tutorial? Let me know if not as I used that and found it very easy - first JB ever too :)

gcclubs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ISPW vs Zip

I did a manual download, i.e. and changed the doc type name from zip to ispw (as suggested in one of the posts) and that created the required file on my desktop. I only had time to do a restore last nite and then reload all my apps as it deleted all purchased apps from reason. I had done a back up earlier so not sure why.

I will do the jb tonite.

I assume I don't need to restore again? Or do I have to do it all in a sequence?

Reaction score
Not sure, why you would want to restore in the first place. You install the jb on top of iOS 4.3.1.

If your iPad is already running 4.3.1, then there is no need to touch iTunes any further, as iTunes does not play any role in the jail breaking process. All you need is redsn0w and the 4.3.1 firmware.

gcclubs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why Restore if Using 4.3.1

Thanks for the comment but in other discussions I have seen including tutorials it was pretty clear to me that I had to do a restore. I questioned that as I also saw no reason to do that. I have cleaned everything up now to reinstall all my apps that disappears on the restore, which was a royal pain in the a**.

Given your comment I will just do the jail break this evening referring to the 4.3.1 file and I will use the actual file that is in the appdata folder from when I installed 4.3.1 in the first place. That is what I had wanted to do all along, particularily as I couldn't get a download of the ISPW file for the longest time (it kept showing up as a zip file).

I will try to post this evening if it works or my iPad blows up:confused:

Davefewox

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the excellent tutorial Phil very concise and thanks especially for the download links. worked fine on iPad w 4.3.1 already installed did not update my iPhone 4 to 4.3.1 tho. do I understand correctly from all the posts that you update to 4.3.1 and then jailbreak it??even tho I located the 4.3.1 firmware file during the jaulbreak?

pjle5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gcclubs said:
Thanks for the comment but in other discussions I have seen including tutorials it was pretty clear to me that I had to do a restore. I questioned that as I also saw no reason to do that. I have cleaned everything up now to reinstall all my apps that disappears on the restore, which was a royal pain in the a**.

Given your comment I will just do the jail break this evening referring to the 4.3.1 file and I will use the actual file that is in the appdata folder from when I installed 4.3.1 in the first place. That is what I had wanted to do all along, particularily as I couldn't get a download of the ISPW file for the longest time (it kept showing up as a zip file).

I will try to post this evening if it works or my iPad blows up:confused:

I had similar problems trying to get IPSW file when attempting to download using Internet Explorer...I simply attempted to download using Google Chrome instead, and voila...it worked! Once download complete, I saved IPSW file on my desktop, so when I ran redsnow, it was easy to find when I had to browse for file.

Goosenj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
New iPad - iTunes wants to update to ios 4.3.2

I just purchased a new ipad and I want to jailbreak it using the 4.3.1 tutorial as I completed that on my other ipad last week. Just purchased a new ipad for my wife and want to jailbreak it but itunes wants to upgrade it to 4.3.2. Is there any way that I can update it to 4.3.1 manually so that I can jailbreak it as I did my other one?

Reaction score
Goosenj said:
I just purchased a new ipad and I want to jailbreak it using the 4.3.1 tutorial as I completed that on my other ipad last week. Just purchased a new ipad for my wife and want to jailbreak it but itunes wants to upgrade it to 4.3.2. Is there any way that I can update it to 4.3.1 manually so that I can jailbreak it as I did my other one?

No, since you bought the iPad new, you don't have SHSH blobs for 4.3.1 saved to upgrade manually. At this point, you can only upgrade to 4.3.2 and use the tethered jailbreak.

Goosenj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess at this stage I will have to wait for a 4.3.2 untethered jailbreak? Are there really no other solutions? As I already have one ipad at 4.3.1, is there not a way to sort of replicate my other ipad onto the new one?

Thanks....don't understand the SHSH blobs comment

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess at this stage I will have to wait for a 4.3.2 untethered jailbreak? Are there really no other solutions? As I already have one ipad at 4.3.1, is there not a way to sort of replicate my other ipad onto the new one?

Thanks....don't understand the SHSH blobs comment

Search is your friend :)

SHSH Blog FAQ linked in my sig and is a sticky...

vvt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi! i did jailbreak my ipad 1 using the steps you gave.

Model: MC496LL/A - iPad3G
Firmware: 4.3.1
Baseband: 07.11.01-6.4_M3S2

it says it successfully jailbreak my ipad. it installed cydia. i selected developer.

but when i sync my apps, it give me an error - 0XE8008001.

how do i get this resolve?

I badly need your help! Please!

vvt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

it says it successfully jailbreak my ipad. it installed cydia. i selected developer.

Thanks anyways! I figured it out. It's fully jailbreaked! *********** EDIT ***********

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

The reason for this error is due to the use of pirated apps. Discussion of these is against the forum rules and is forbidden.

Most reactions

Latest posts