What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G used when wifi is on?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What the other posters have said is absolutely true. However, the issue often of interest to users is 'Will the iPad eat up my data allowance if I leave it switched on and WiFi is available'? Technically, of course, the answer is 'No', but the problem arises, for example, when your iPad is connected by WiFi to, say, your ADSL broadband modem and you leave your 3G switched on and WiFi stops working, for some reason (kids knocked the plug out from its power supply). The iPad will then swap to 3G and *it doesn't alert you*. As a result you can inadvertently be using 3G without realising it.

Tim
Scotland

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It can be a good idea to turn 3G off when you are not going to use it. At the very least, this can help save some drain on your battery. Since the iPad is not a phone, you probably won't sporadically need the 3G connection throughout the day. (i.e. you aren't likely to check your email on your iPad while waiting in line at the grocery store).

As for data consumption, no, it doesn't use the 3G if Wi Fi is available. Even if Wi Fi drops to 1 bar, it will still be used. It is only when it drops completely that 3G will come on, and you can tell by the 3G icon appearing in the status bar.

PlastickCouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank goodness for this, I was also wondering what's up with the 3G plans. I guess it wasn't the double-use, I just use the 3G way too much :) lolz

Most reactions

Latest posts