What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$35.00 Linux Tablet - Video

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok4z9Xpapzc&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - India's $35 laptop[/ame]

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sounds like a pipe dream down the same road the HP Slate took.. Also noted they are calling this a laptop

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All progress begins with a dream......Good luck to them and I hope it's successful.
It won't be replacing my iPad though.

The thought of Linux apps made me shudder. Tarballs ftw.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before anyone gets too excited.

I think it is a great idea that the world can produce a $35 tablet.

It will not compete with an iPad. Apple pays about a $100 for the screen alone in the iPad. Does that mean anything to you?

Here is a simple test. Lay the iPad flat on a table and walk around it. Did you notice you can view the screen everywhere you go from directly above it to off to the other side of the room?

Try that with just about any laptop or other tablet. Can you see the amazing difference? That is Apple's attention to quality where it matters.
That is why people buy Apple and swear by it than all that electronic crap that pretends to do the same thing.

Ultrimate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
funny, I rem posting some while back that some company from China will make tablets for $75.00 few years down the road, but never did I imagine to see this now and only 35 bucks..

how do they do it? I mean the processor alone has to be like 100 dollars? And the screen another 100!

man, if this is true Im gonna buy 10 of them, have one in the basement, one in the car, one in the dog house- for my dog even, one in the...well, you get the idea, I 'll have one everywhere!!!

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the real bonus is that cheap devices like this will allow people in the developing world access to the Internet and all its benefits regarding education.

...alternatively, we may just get hit with another wave of "Helo sirs, I have been requested to in for you that my client has been allocated $20 million dollars but can only get it If you send me your bank details" emails ;)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yay another Indian device that will never see more than prototype phase.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea, sure you get what you pay for. But at that price you can certainly get a lot of them lol So what if they each only last even only 6-9 months? For less than the cost of a tank of gas you can just buy another one. More power to them. Not everyone can come up with the money for a well built device.
At least THEY don't have the word 'pad' in their name lol

vsavy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AllGo Tablet

Hi,
I had designed this sytem. I am presently in UK. The processor is an embedded one with all the necessary features for a basic computer system and we had calculated this $35 for a 100k volume with a profit of $5 per product. It included all the cost (Design/CAD cost in this volume become approx. zero, BOM cost was $20, Fab cost less than $0.2 when the PCB size itself is 2.2"x2.2").
Any reply !

Vsavy

Before anyone gets too excited.

I think it is a great idea that the world can produce a $35 tablet.

It will not compete with an iPad. Apple pays about a $100 for the screen alone in the iPad. Does that mean anything to you?

Here is a simple test. Lay the iPad flat on a table and walk around it. Did you notice you can view the screen everywhere you go from directly above it to off to the other side of the room?

Try that with just about any laptop or other tablet. Can you see the amazing difference? That is Apple's attention to quality where it matters.
That is why people buy Apple and swear by it than all that electronic crap that pretends to do the same thing.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's possible that this device will stay in India. I could see myself using one like a PDA. Stuff one in the suitcase or carry it in a shirt pocket. That's one device that wouldn't break my heart if it fell to the ground...:p

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi vsavy nice to see you've joined us and congratulations. I hope you'll be very successful.

It would be great if large numbers of these are made as there are many areas of the world where gadgets like the iPad cost more than a years salary.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think these are great projects. No one claims its goal is to "beat the iPad" - whatever that even means. Sure, for $35 its not going to be as fast as an iPad, its not going to have the best screen and all that. But, if it work, it gives people access to technology that would ever buy an iPad, or even a netbook.

vsavy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
First of all, when I designed (some inputs from our colleagues) in Sept, 2009, we never imagined to beat any iPAD or even laptop. We were just worried about cost (cost was based on supplier in China). The speed was 600MHz (Not comparable to any Intel/AMD device) but surely one can run the basic app. The advantage we had, was to exploit the multi function pins of the processor where you can connect some more peripheral without any additional cost of the controller.

Vsavy

I think these are great projects. No one claims its goal is to "beat the iPad" - whatever that even means. Sure, for $35 its not going to be as fast as an iPad, its not going to have the best screen and all that. But, if it work, it gives people access to technology that would ever buy an iPad, or even a netbook.

Most reactions

Latest posts