What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 wifi devices in home but 1 air printer

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
we have an Epsom workforce 3640 printer,
hubby has an iPad Air 2 which he used on on wifi device Telstra 4g advanced....
I have an iPad 2 which I connect to my own wifi Telstra 4 G advanced
Now the question we want to know is can the printer be set up to be able to print from either hubby's wi fi or from my wi fi...
Rang epson and he was totally hopeless,
What we want is if I am using the Internet I cam print anything I want whi,e connected to my wifi, if hubby is on computer and wants to print out while he is using his internet wi fi he should be able to... As it is now he has to disconnect his internet and log into mine to print out something...
The printer doesn't seem to pick up his wi fi modem...
Any ideas on how we can do this would be appreciated

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's a tough one.

I'm kind of curious why you are using two separate wi-fi networks in the same house. Assuming it has to be that way there isn't going to be a simple solution like changing a settings or getting the printer to join two wi-fi networks (can't be done).

So your best bet is to make the printer available on the internet, and what will probably work (for free) is Google Cloud Print.

I have zero experience with this service. All I can say is that the service description says it can make your printer available to selected users from anywhere. That and don't expect to to hand large documents quickly. They will have to go through the internet, twice, for whoever ends up using the printer remotely (from the network it's not directly connected to).

Good luck.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They are using portable wifi devices, connecting to the Internet via 4G/LTE. I guess they take where they go, hence having one each.

I would also assume because of this, they don't have a home network as such.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whichever way you go, the printer will need to stay on one wifi network. Ideally, you should create one home network, possibly only use your 4G devices on the go.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Whichever way you go, the printer will need to stay on one wifi network. Ideally, you should create one home network, possibly only use your 4G devices on the go.

@ Clermont - do you have a computer @ home and are ISP services available to you? A home Wi-Fi network would easily solve your problem - I have two printers, both AirPrint compatible (as is your model) and a home Wi-Fi network - wife and I easily print from our Mac computers & iPads.

Now, if you do not have a computer & router (and don't want them?), then take a look at MiFi, such a device (and service plan, so check for pricing and other options) acts as a Wi-Fi 'hotspot' and establishes a local wireless network that could be 'seen' by either iPad and permit printing. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They are using portable wifi devices, connecting to the Internet via 4G/LTE. I guess they take where they go, hence having one each.

I would also assume because of this, they don't have a home network as such.

I'd have probably understood that if I'd taken the time to look up what a Telstra 4G was. Thanks.

@clemont

That's another major wrinkle in the problem. I suspect it would be cheaper and more convenient to simply buy a second Air Print capable printer. If one of your printing needs are reasonably light you should be able to find something acceptable for well under $100.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Now, if you do not have a computer & router (and don't want them?), then take a look at MiFi, such a device (and service plan, so check for pricing and other options) acts as a Wi-Fi 'hotspot' and establishes a local wireless network that could be 'seen' by either iPad and permit printing. Dave :)

Hi Dave,

The Telstra 4G devices they have are effectively Mifi devices you are talking about. They have connected the printer to one, but then the other user has to jump off their "Mifi" to the other to print (if I'm understanding correctly).

For the OP, most people would have set up a home broadband plan, which these days will come with a wifi router that you can hook everything up to. Telstra can help you with that (either ADSL, cable or fibre). The up side is the data is much cheaper per Gb than the 4G devices you are now using, and will also open up the possibility for future uses such as IPTV, etc.

Once your devices have been set-up on the one wifi network, printing will be a breeze.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

The Telstra 4G devices they have are effectively Mifi devices you are talking about. They have connected the printer to one, but then the other user has to jump off their "Mifi" to the other to print (if I'm understanding correctly).

For the OP, most people would have set up a home broadband plan, which these days will come with a wifi router that you can hook everything up to. Telstra can help you with that (either ADSL, cable or fibre). The up side is the data is much cheaper per Gb than the 4G devices you are now using, and will also open up the possibility for future uses such as IPTV, etc.

Once your devices have been set-up on the one wifi network, printing will be a breeze.

Thanks Dhewson.... for the explanation above; I guess that my reasoning was to have the printer 'see' just one Wi-Fi network that both iPads could connect to for printing purposes - appeared to me that the phones were setting up two different 'hotspots' causing the problem. I agree that having a router generate a home Wi-Fi network would be the easiest situation and likely save some money as you indicated. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts