What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st gen Apple Pencil tilt + ipad pro

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
does anyone know whether the first Apple Pencil supports tilt? I’ve goog’d It but as if by magic, I’m only shown what the 2nd-gen pencil does. Perhaps this is a feature.

When I draw with the side of the tip in artrage, my line doesn’t get wider; makes me think that either the pencil or the software are tilt-agnostic.

Thank you for any clues!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, the original Apple Pencil supports all the modes and drawing features of the Pencil 2. Even in software packages that support tilt, you need to make sure the drawing tool you are using has it configures. Most don’t, preferring pressure over tilt to control width. Tilt is usually used for shading, like you might with do with a lead pencil.

Tools in ArtRage that would not be physically able to use shading/tilt techniques don’t support the feature. Other apps have more configurable tools, and will let you do some stuff not possible with conventional brushes, pens, pencils, etc.

DC6D0794-C8D3-4682-AFC5-EBD8BE85C2C7.png

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you both for your excellent and informative responses!

PrismStudios

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.prism-studios.org
BTW, the response was even good on the simple "native apps" like notes on my iPad( I signed the PDF of a Convention contract with the Apple pencil too, nice!). Frankly I was happily overwhelmed to the point of almost bawling. Iv`e been waiting for something like this to exist. I always wanted to try digital art, but didn`t like having to drag along a laptop, AND the drawing tablet. This is almost some sort of magic. L

Most reactions