What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1024 X 1024 vs. Scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would hope that the hottest new piece of technology would have the ability to automatically adapt the scale of the wallpaper to the screen's orientation. Cutting off 256 pixels from an image in either position will make creating wallpapers of people and objects very tricky. I have numerous wallpapers in both 1024 X 768 and 768 X 1024 orientations.

Last edited:

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sure it will work just like the mac. If you use an image that is 1024x768, it will be scaled up when you view the image in portrait mode. This will cause the side that was 1024 pixels before the scaled up to increase to 1365 pixels so the the iPad will crop amost 600 pixels to make it fit in the 768 pixels available.

In short not only will a 1024x768 image have to be scaled when viewed in portrait (which will not show the image at its best), but a good deal of the image will have to be cropped off as well. For example, here is an 1024x768 image:
87136001.png

Here is how it would look scaled up to fill the screen in portrait mode:
ex3.png

BTW, I am not sure it is cool to post links to competitors of this site. Are you associated with the site? Just wondering since you link to it in almost all of your posts.

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is my site. I have seen many other posts with links to their iPad related sites. I plan to have the best wallpaper selection around. I am resizing all of the current wallpapers that I have up for the 1024X1024 format.

If someone has a picture that they took with their phone or from the net, would that mean that they would have to edit it for it to work correctly on the iPad? Doesn't seem to user friendly. What do you think?

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Images

So what you are saying is even though the first image below is 1024X1024 it would get cropped but the second image would be okay, right?

Attachments

• Koenigsegg 2006 CCX 2006.JPG
    Koenigsegg 2006 CCX 2006.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 658
  • Koenigsegg 2006 CCX 2006B.JPG
    Koenigsegg 2006 CCX 2006B.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 793

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, the car in the first image would show completely when in landscape and be slightly cropped in portrait.

You can see what I'm refering to in the pic below. The landscape horizon is fully visible in landscape mode and cropped in portrait.
ipadqk.png

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
External Photo

So how would someone with a 1920 x 1200 photo deal with this? You should be able to use any photo or pic as a wallpaper, right?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad forum is not free web site promotion

BTW, I am not sure it is cool to post links to competitors of this site. Are you associated with the site? Just wondering since you link to it in almost all of your posts.

I totally agree with you, but some people for be popular they need to stick on the ass of the famous one for believe they exist .... you can do nothing about this kind of behavior

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Pal Give Me A Break

I totally agree with you, but some people for be popular they need to stick on the ass of the famous one for believe they exist .... you can do nothing about this kind of behavior
I am new here and noticed 2 or 3 other messages with the author putting the URL to his own iPad site in the message body. I have stopped doing that and placed the link in my signature just as you have. There is no need for any derogatory inferences regarding this.

Thanks

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So how would someone with a 1920 x 1200 photo deal with this? You should be able to use any photo or pic as a wallpaper, right?
While I don't know for sure what the iPad will or won't do, I would bet that it will center any image assigned as a wallpaper and then scale it if necessary so the screen is filled.

In landscape a 1920x1200 picture would be scaled down to 1228 x 768 and 102 (204 total) pixels would be cropped from the top bottom of the image. In portrait, the image would be scaled down to 1638 x 1024 and 437 (870 total) pixels would be cropped from the sides.

Again this is just my best guess. Anyone else have any thoughts?

OP
Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never owned a system that used portrait mode so this is all going to be new to me. I don't like the idea of not being able to just use a photo as background without having to fuss with it. The next question would be will users prefer to use portrait or landscape orientation? Portrait is good for ibooks but everything else will most likely be done in landscape. Any thoughts?

wot_fan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless a screen is square, there are always going to be issues with getting the perfect wallpaper for landscape and portrait. For this device, IMHO a wall paper should look good in both portrait and landscape (like the one in Job's demo). If I had to guess though, I think the iPad will be used more in portrait than landscape. Time will tell.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some future Ipad user be educated in the jungle

I have never owned a system that used portrait mode so this is all going to be new to me. I don't like the idea of not being able to just use a photo as background without having to fuss with it. The next question would be will users prefer to use portrait or landscape orientation? Portrait is good for ibooks but everything else will most likely be done in landscape. Any thoughts?

don't you feel you are too much, coming here grabbing information and user for build you're web site ...or maybe you cannot build it without the brain and knowledge of the others ??

or you think everything is permit over internet

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Well, not sure if that last post, made nearly four years ago, is that cool, but there's not much point responding to a post after all that time. So with that, this thread is now closed.
---------------------------------------- THREAD CLOSED ----------------------------

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts