What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

0.30 mbps fun.

Reaction score
Hi good folks on this section. Ive been given an Air approx 6 years old, has been fantastic.. but I get very low mbps figures. Im in UK.

Ive had 2 engineer visits by openreach. Visit 1 chap said '' found prob.. old cable.. replaced / look now 4.2 mbps.. bye". 2 hours later back to 0.30 again, stays stuck like it since.

Visit 2 today, engineer said " my phone shows 4.2 Mbps.. so its definitely your ipad ". I say no, can't be if Ijust spent 4 days with it at my parent's 62 mbps, not once slowing or doing typical "0.30 mbps" symptoms. 3x Ive visited them with it over a year now the same: perfect. After engineer left, it went back to 0.40 two hrs later.

I suggest the hub is more likely at fault. The engineer refuted this, insisting proof had been established that my ipad is the cause.

BUT i just tried pressing 'factory reset' on the hub.... then I get 4.2 mbps again, How long this will last Im monitoring obviously. Edit: still holding around 3.8 mbps at midnight. Great! But have I solved it by resetting the hub.. or is my ipad to blame? Hmm..

Thanks, schwange.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try this.

1) First, make sure you know your network name and password,

2) Now go to the wi-fi settings in the iPad, select the (i) icon to the right of your network, and choose to forget it.

3) Unplug your router from power, wait 30 seconds or so, and plug it back in.

4) Power your iPad off, then turn it back on.

5) Rejoin your network.

In the past, routers have been known to take a dislike to iPads and other devices. Unlinking the device (so it forgets the router info) then powering downt he router so it also forgets the device helps, sometimes.

It’s also true that in the past some routers and some iPads just did not get along. It wasn’t true for just iPads, but we spent quite a bit of time in this forum tackeling this problem. Apple is pretty careful about checking it’s devices against its own routers (when it had them) and the most common brands. Most brands were careful about checking their routers with the most common equipment. Not surpisingly there’s a gap in there where some routers were not checked against Apple’s iPads.

Added to that, the wireless standards of the time were not as well documented and/or understood, so some manufacureres did things a tad different than others.

Mostly that seems to be a thing of the past, but your older iPad is on the tail end of less compatible days, and it’s possible your router is as well.

If this does not work, see if you can talk your ISP into a newer router. Or failing that, see if they have a non-router cable modem that would let you purchase and use your own router.

Good Luck.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hiya trwerppoet, that's fab advice and information thanks so much.

I will do all as you say, exactly so, once I find the current situation worsened back to hopeless 0.30 mbps again. Which is expected.

At the moment tho, unexpectedly, a day after i simply pressed " factory reset" on the router... & Im tempting fate saying this... but it's kept 3.8 mbps, a full 14 hours after I did it. Never seen this button before.

So maybe Ive fixed my own issue, after 3 x engineers visiting travelling many miles ( no bill to me tho ), who didn't simply try pressing one button. I mean how can I possibly consider Im right, without any knowledge, & they're all wrong?! but until it subsides to 0.3 again... this is just true.

Bizarre. Two rude welsh sods to me here yesterday too. . antipathy twds english I sensed after i stuck to my guns that the router is more likely than the ipad working 4 days away @62 mbps perfectly.

Btw what figures do you guys get over there? I-think you're pacific NW area? I bet you get a zillion megawhatnots pumped up from silicone valley-?

Thanks. schwanger doodle dan.

Querty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
55FE227D-9AB3-4BFD-9AB2-D343633B59BC.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is from a public WiFi hotspot at a local shopping mall, just outside the head office of my cellular carrier.
FD9A0042-62DE-4089-ABE6-8F4B169C6A28.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hope it keeps working for you.

I get about 30 Mbps down and 4 Mbps up. However, my internet often goes out in the evening. No idea what causes that. I also have my wireless plan through Verizon which is a bit slower, but much more reliable. Since most of my devices are on the plan, I have it as a fallback.

Querty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I phoned Virgin about this once they said it’s because there are way more people on the net in the evening.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi twerppoet, tempting fate to say.. but its held around 3 mbps. Dips to 1.8 evening but mr.Q suggests expected, & still ample for my light single ipad 'use'.

Why bt didn just say " tiny reset button on router, try this 1 st please ".. but instead get 3 wasted engineer visits most recent one arguamentative/ arrogant & even inferring I was lying too FFS, & hours of my time wasted: is just utter incompetence.

Because it seems like I fixed it in 1 second. Good if so of course.

Fingers x'd thanks chaps. schwanger dangger.

Most reactions