What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Long Do I Have?

HenryWalsh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So...

My iPad 1 has been a constant companion. Sadly, I am one of the rare "poor" Apple customers. I know Apple is the, as they say, "Money Company" though and already I am losing access to the apps that I use (RIP DailyMotion) and it is only a matter of time before I lose "Art Studio" and that makes me sad. My iPad was a prize that I won for winning a small essay writing contest a few years ago, just before the iPad 2 came out.

I can't afford to upgrade to a new iPad though.

Part of me is a little upset, but I also understand that Apple can't keep updating old products.

Anyone know the ballpark though I have before my iPad becomes naught but a wifi web browser? Some told me that I might get some additional use out of it if I "Jailbreak" it but I am pretty sure that within the year I'll be forced to consider my pad a paperweight... Anyone got a rough estimate (based on precedent of course) before i probably have to be ready to shelve it?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure but your post makes me wonder about my ipad2,i now wonder when i will need to update.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would say the iPad 2 is still good for a bit, as has the same hardware as the mini, as well as the current iOS available.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you're on a budget - treat it like a good car and drive it into the ground.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF
yes i thought a similar thing myself,my ipad2 does all i want from an ipad so while ever it works I'll just keep using it,I'm not on a budget but i can't see any point in changing it.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yes i thought a similar thing myself,my ipad2 does all i want from an ipad so while ever it works I'll just keep using it,I'm not on a budget but i can't see any point in changing it.

Go for the 128GB iPad Ivy..we know you want it!! ;)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
When it's time to switch I know I'll want a gig pig. Hopefully the Mini will be available in a 128 format by then.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Now twice I have heard that word..Pig!

Yes...the new mini should have the 128 GB!

then i would be driving myself mad trying to fill it lol.

No problem with all that music you listen to!

OP
H

HenryWalsh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fine info for the iPad 2 ears but... Still trying to figure out why to do about my 1...

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fine info for the iPad 2 ears but... Still trying to figure out why to do about my 1...

We can't tell you that, but you might try asking the developers of key apps that you care about how long they'll keep supporting older versions of the apps. That will determine how long your iPad will serve your uses. Since iPad 1's firmware is limited to iOS 5.1.1, developer support of apps that are compatible up to that level is key for continued iPad 1 functionality.

OP
H

HenryWalsh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible to earn enough money to get a new one?

I wish I could but I unfortunately don't make enough to drop $400-$600 on a new tablet. Even saving up I have too many other obligations to accomplish this. It really stinks about the iOS 6 thing. I understand it, but can't help feeling a bit bitter. My pad has been a lifesaver on hospital stays and losing most of what I use it for is going to sting.

Probably going to look into an android tablet, they are crappy (or so I have heard) but much less expensive.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish I could but I unfortunately don't make enough to drop $400-$600 on a new tablet. Even saving up I have too many other obligations to accomplish this. It really stinks about the iOS 6 thing. I understand it, but can't help feeling a bit bitter. My pad has been a lifesaver on hospital stays and losing most of what I use it for is going to sting.

Probably going to look into an android tablet, they are crappy (or so I have heard) but much less expensive.

Well the Mini's start at $329 + tax, and they are starting to trickle into the Apple store refurb area, at $30-40 less depending on the model.

Android's are indeed cheaper, but to me they just look like a big phone, not a tablet.

Phil does some nice comparisons against the Google Nexus 7 at the 50min mark

Apple - Apple Events - Apple Special Event October 2012

Most reactions

Latest posts