What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with app updates

Bdrich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope I am posting in the correct area. I did a search for my problem, but didn't find a answer. My diemla is I purchased a use ipad 2 with 3G and Jailbroken. I have purchased some apps and downloaded some free ones. My situation is now I have a whole bunch of updates for these apps. When I go to get the updates the previous owners ID pops up and ask for a password. Even for the ones I paid for. I tried to delete the previous owner info and sign them out on the ipad, but no matter what it comes up everytime I try to get an app update. My account info is intact and I can buy apps, but can't get updates. I thought about a factory reboot, but I hate to loose my jailbreak. I am hoping to do the new jailbreak 5.1.1 when its avalible. If I can figure out to do that when the time comes. That will be another issue later I am sure. Sorry about the long post, us senior citzens seem to ramble on from time to time. A thank you to everyone for the help..........

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bdrich said:
Hello everyone, I hope I am posting in the correct area. I did a search for my problem, but didn't find a answer. My diemla is I purchased a use ipad 2 with 3G and Jailbroken. I have purchased some apps and downloaded some free ones. My situation is now I have a whole bunch of updates for these apps. When I go to get the updates the previous owners ID pops up and ask for a password. Even for the ones I paid for. I tried to delete the previous owner info and sign them out on the ipad, but no matter what it comes up everytime I try to get an app update. My account info is intact and I can buy apps, but can't get updates. I thought about a factory reboot, but I hate to loose my jailbreak. I am hoping to do the new jailbreak 5.1.1 when its avalible. If I can figure out to do that when the time comes. That will be another issue later I am sure. Sorry about the long post, us senior citzens seem to ramble on from time to time. A thank you to everyone for the help..........

Those apps from the previous owner are not yours and will need his password to be updated. As the updates go through you will get another pop up for your Id password that you used to buy the new apps. The best thing you can do is delete the apps that we're the original owners. The app store does keep a record of all the apps purchased under your id so don't worry if you should accidentally delete one, you will be able to get it back for free. There is nothing that you can do that will change this other than buying those apps yourself under your ID. The past owner should have known this. As far as security on your iPad is concerned, I would be restoring an iPad as new if I were to buy a second hand one.

OP
B

Bdrich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying about the previous owners apps, which I was aware of and didn't care about. My problem is the apps I have purchased or downloaded, is when there is an update available it shows up under the previous owner account and won't let me update them. Even tho I am the one who purchased or download the app first. I have deleted all the apps that weren't mine. Hope this is a little less confusing.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bdrich said:
I understand what you are saying about the previous owners apps, which I was aware of and didn't care about. My problem is the apps I have purchased or downloaded, is when there is an update available it shows up under the previous owner account and won't let me update them. Even tho I am the one who purchased or download the app first. I have deleted all the apps that weren't mine. Hope this is a little less confusing.

This should not be happening, are you signed in under your account in the app store? If you have deleted the apps, all the updates should be for the apps you have bought and still have on the iPad, if this isn't the case, something is amiss and the first step we take is to close the app in question completely and then relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly. See if it is operating now, if not do a restart of your iPad

Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. Now see if it is operating and let us know.

OP
B

Bdrich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update news...........I deleted all my apps and turned off ipad, rebooted and installed apps again. I had to wait to get an update notice for an app. Today I got one and when I went to get it . Wouldn't you know it, the previous Ipad user ID pops up and ask for password again. I GIVE UP!! As soon as the new jailbreak is released I will be wiping this thing completely clean and starting over. Thanks for the help.............

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've now given you your own thread so that we may help you to resolve this better. I have moved it to our Hacking Section as your ipad is jailbroken and this might have something to do with it.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bdrich said:
Update news...........I deleted all my apps and turned off ipad, rebooted and installed apps again. I had to wait to get an update notice for an app. Today I got one and when I went to get it . Wouldn't you know it, the previous Ipad user ID pops up and ask for password again. I GIVE UP!! As soon as the new jailbreak is released I will be wiping this thing completely clean and starting over. Thanks for the help.............

Go to Settings->Store(in left column) then check ApleID in right part of the screen - seems it will be old owner ID. Then tap this ID and choose "Sign out" in pop-up menu. Then tap on field AppleID (blank one) and choose "Sign in with existing ID" and do it with your one. Hope it'll solve your problem.

OP
B

Bdrich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, but it is my id that is listed. I have signed out before and signed back in again and again. I still have the same problem. The other id isn't even listed. Then it appears and request the password when I have an app update to download. I can purchase apps without any problem and download them. I just can't download the update for them when there is one available. This should get all you Ipad experts straching your head.......I still think my Ipad is haunted...........

followthesapper

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have a look at a package in Cydia known as AccountChanger. Google it and there are a few 'how to's'. It may help.

andrewak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bdrich said:
Thanks, but it is my id that is listed. I have signed out before and signed back in again and again. I still have the same problem. The other id isn't even listed. Then it appears and request the password when I have an app update to download. I can purchase apps without any problem and download them. I just can't download the update for them when there is one available. This should get all you Ipad experts straching your head.......I still think my Ipad is haunted...........

Strange for me. Only idea is to save SHSH blob, restore through DFU to 5.1.1, then downgrade and rejailbreak. As I know it's possible now.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem is that the apps you have sync'd back onto your device are signed by the old owner. You either need to remove them from your PC and re-download them from iTunes on the PC (using your own account), or you need to delete them and download them directly on the iPad only using your own Apple ID.

All apps are digitally signed to a single ID. You need to get rid of the ones that are signed with the previous owners ID.

Most reactions

Latest posts