What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can't update apps from app store

mohammad tarek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have been facing a problem for the past month, I haven't been able to update any application already downloaded from the app store, and I'm order to get the latest version, I have been forced to delete then redownload the app once again, can somebody help me with this please.
Thank you very much.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mohammad tarek said:
Hey everyone,
I have been facing a problem for the past month, I haven't been able to update any application already downloaded from the app store, and I'm order to get the latest version, I have been forced to delete then redownload the app once again, can somebody help me with this please.
Thank you very much.

Sure we will help.

Question. When attempting to update existing apps what is happening? Do the selected icons show a waiting state?

Check this thread which may help, it is about inability to update existing apps.

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...4-ipad-2-cannot-download-apps.html#post518566

Most are caused by an orphaned download in iTunes. Whether it be an app update, podcast, or something else a good first step is to work with iTunes on the PC where the iPad was synchronized. Download all available updates directly into iTunes, check for podcasts that are incomplete, etc. Once iTunes is current with all downloads the iPad apps stuck in a waiting state start downloading without intervention.

Let us know if you get this fixed.

Last edited:
OP
mohammad tarek

mohammad tarek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
Sure we will help.

Question. When attempting to update existing apps what is happening? Do the selected icons show a waiting state?

Check this thread which may help, it is about inability to update existing apps.

Most are caused by an orphaned download in iTunes. Whether it be an app update, podcast, or something else a good first step is to work with iTunes on the PC where the iPad was synchronized. Download all available updates directly into iTunes, check for podcasts that are incomplete, etc. Once iTunes is current with all downloads the iPad apps stuck in a waiting state start downloading without intervention.

Let us know if you get this fixed.

Thank u very much for ur kind reply, will try wut u told me and c if it will work, but answering 2 ur question if it stucks at "waiting", actually it doesn't, it starts downloading until it reach about 75 percent, then a notification pops up and tells me they weren't able to update!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mohammad tarek said:
Thank u very much for ur kind reply, will try wut u told me and c if it will work, but answering 2 ur question if it stucks at "waiting", actually it doesn't, it starts downloading until it reach about 75 percent, then a notification pops up and tells me they weren't able to update!

Hmmm....you have enough open space on your iPad?

I would go through all the troubleshooting steps. Once iTunes is current and has no pending updates or downloads post back and let us know how you are progressing.

A good first step on the iPad is to close all background apps then power cycle the iPad. If you don't know how to do this just shout.

OP
mohammad tarek

mohammad tarek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
Hmmm....you have enough open space on your iPad?

I would go through all the troubleshooting steps. Once iTunes is current and has no pending updates or downloads post back and let us know how you are progressing.

A good first step on the iPad is to close all background apps then power cycle the iPad. If you don't know how to do this just shout.

Ya I have lots of space, and I tried now to re-sync all the apps that I have just in case there r incomplete downloads or smth like that, but still a, facing the same problem. Am nt sure how I can knw if there r any pending updates or nt. :s. hw can I knw If I have any?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mohammad tarek said:
Ya I have lots of space, and I tried now to re-sync all the apps that I have just in case there r incomplete downloads or smth like that, but still a, facing the same problem. Am nt sure how I can knw if there r any pending updates or nt. :s. hw can I knw If I have any?

Open iTunes and look at bottom right of screen when viewing applications. I believe the number of available updates is displayed there.

OP
mohammad tarek

mohammad tarek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
Open iTunes and look at bottom right of screen when viewing applications. I believe the number of available updates is displayed there.

Ya I did update them, then synced them with my iPad, and while it's updating am looking at the iPad and all of the icons we stuck at 75 percent

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mohammad tarek said:
Ya I did update them, then synced them with my iPad, and while it's updating am looking at the iPad and all of the icons we stuck at 75 percent

Have you done as previously suggested and closed all background apps and power cycled the iPad?

OP
mohammad tarek

mohammad tarek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
Have you done as previously suggested and closed all background apps and power cycled the iPad?

Ya I did it several times

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mohammad tarek said:
Ya I did it several times
When you restart are the apps still stuck at 75 percent or does it happen when you go after the updates again?

If you are closing all background apps, more particularly the app store prior to restart when the iPad restarts the updates should have been cancelled and you should have a normal desktop. If this is the case then try updating only ONE app and see what happens.

To close background apps double tap home key from home screen, icons appear on bottom task bar, press and hold the app store icon until it wobbles and a red minus mark appears on all icons. Tap the red minus sign on ALL icons in the task bar. THEN restart iPad.

I'm wondering if an update is trying to get applied to an open program....one that is running in the background. Above procedure assures iPad restarts with ZERO programs active in the background.

OP
mohammad tarek

mohammad tarek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
When you restart are the apps still stuck at 75 percent or does it happen when you go after the updates again?

If you are closing all background apps, more particularly the app store prior to restart when the iPad restarts the updates should have been cancelled and you should have a normal desktop. If this is the case then try updating only ONE app and see what happens.

To close background apps double tap home key from home screen, icons appear on bottom task bar, press and hold the app store icon until it wobbles and a red minus mark appears on all icons. Tap the red minus sign on ALL icons in the task bar. THEN restart iPad.

I'm wondering if an update is trying to get applied to an open program....one that is running in the background. Above procedure assures iPad restarts with ZERO programs active in the background.

I did it exactly as u told me, but still am getting the same result.... I attached a photo so u can c hw it looks like

image-933894540.jpg

I am really sorry 2 bother u that much, if u r finding it too much of a hassle please just ignore it and will try 2 live with wut I have and wait for the next update.

Thank u very much

cerrest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had the same problem and this works for me, but don't ask me why. Go to settings, WiFi, slide the WiFi slider to off. When it has closed, slide it back to on and then wait a few seconds for it to sync back up. As I say, it works for me. I hope it does the same for you.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had the same problem as well. On mine it was a game that had no sensitive store data so I deleted it and reinstalled. It reinstalled with the update and worked well.

therealriley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had posted this elsewhere, but it's a tried and tested fix so il post it here too, it's the only way to really sort it as its a few apps that are causing it but I'm not sure how.

I had exactly the same issue, I had to delete the apps first then download them, it was the only fix that worked.
1) first of all try to download the updates individually, some should work. Chances are if like mine I had one or two apps that was causing it once these were deleted and redownloaded everything was sorted.
2) you can delete your app then go to iTunes on your iPad, goto purchases where you can download it again, you will see the download box is different if you have already had it with that apple ID. Try it with a free app first to test, chances are after doing a few free apps like mine did, it should sort itself out. Tried and tested working fix. Good luck.

This is becoming more and more frequent with a number of users, there is a few apps that could cause it, I think VLC player maybe one of those because it says update, but I think apple have removed it from the AppStore. Also iBooks was one that went funny on me I deleted it and a few other apps, then went to purchases and downloaded them again. Trust me do as I've said above I had weeks of headaches resolving the issue on my own.

cerrest

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Therealriley,
Yes that would do it and it was what I had to do before I found the trick of turning on and off the WiFi. It's worth trying this before deleting and reinstalling. No logic, I know, but it works for me. If it doesn't then nothing is lost.
Forgot to mention, after turning the WiFi back on, you need to tap on the stalled app(s) again.
Regards
Gary

Most reactions

Latest posts