What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

yahoo address book to ipad failed

I

islandman

Last edited by a moderator:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try setting up the Yahoo account using this option,
image.jpg

just by entering the email address and the password (and of course your name).

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't want to see your emails in the Mail app Inbox, disable Mail after setting up the account.

OP
I

islandman

Yes, that has done it. Wherever I'm looking now and may want to send whatever it is, by clicking in the appropriate place, the first letter typed, brings up all those in my address book starting with that letter. Perfect.

Now to your other post about diabling which I would like to do, but rather than try to disable not being sure of exact route, I will wait for your most welcome advice thanks.

Ps. I am getting brave and have deleted that account, but all the addresses remain.

The reason I don't like using the yahoo app, is because it's such an inconvenience trying to log out, whereas using the browser version, there is a drop down that allows me to log out, simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars, when you tap the account, you're able to turn off features you don't need:
image.jpg

My screenshot will not look exactly the same as your Yahoo account, when it's set up on your iPad. This is an Outlook account.
To disable the email account for the Mail app, put the slider next to Mail to the left, so it will become white and is disabled. That way you use the contacts from Yahoo, e.g., but not the emails.

I'm posting this just in case you need it for another account.

The more you get used to your device, the more you'll experience that you can try a lot without "breaking" anything. :)

OP
I

islandman

In Settings - Mail, Contacts, Calendars, when you tap the account, you're able to turn off features you don't need:
View attachment 63419
My screenshot will not look exactly the same as your Yahoo account, when it's set up on your iPad. This is an Outlook account.
To disable the email account for the Mail app, put the slider next to Mail to the left, so it will become white and is disabled. That way you use the contacts from Yahoo, e.g., but not the emails.

I'm posting this just in case you need it for another account.

The more you get used to your device, the more you'll experience that you can try a lot without "breaking" anything. :)

Yes, I'm sure you are right. I always get a feeling of achievement when I resolve something that bugs me, whether I've done it alone or with help. Thanks

OP
I

islandman

Yes, I'm sure you are right. I always get a feeling of achievement when I resolve something that bugs me, whether I've done it alone or with help. Thanks
J.A. I've now greyed out mail, so that my emails are not visible simply by clicking mail on home page. To see them, user name & password have to be entered. Not that there's anything there I wouldn't want anyone else to read, it's just that it's ME that dictates if they should, not some infernal ipad. ha ha.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm wondering where you were able to grey out mail. The Mail app cant't be restricted, hidden or greyed out.
Are you talking about Safari?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm thinking he is using Private Mode in Safari to access email. That would require entering the username and password each time, and the gray title bar would fit the description of greyed out; kind off.

But I'm just guessing, and waiting patiently for the real explanation which, obviously, piqued my curiosity too.

OP
I

islandman

Yes I'm using safari, as this is what came with ipad. Was tempted to replace, but didn't and have no problem using it. As for Private mode, I have. No recollection of seeing tHat anywhere so can't comment, however I do need to enter user name and password.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes I'm using safari, as this is what came with ipad. Was tempted to replace, but didn't and have no problem using it. As for Private mode, I have. No recollection of seeing tHat anywhere so can't comment, however I do need to enter user name and password.

Tap the double square icon at the top right. You'll enter a view that shows you any open tabs as thumbnails. At the top right (again) you'll see the word Private. If it is highlighted you are in Private mode, and the tab bar, URL field, and controls in Safari will appear as dark gray with white lettering and icons (instead of the usual white, black, and blue).

Tabs open in Private mode do not permanently save history, cookies, or other browsing data. This means that sites can not remember your passwords, even if you tell them to do so. Once you close the tab, it forgets everything about the site.

In normal viewing mode, Safari will remember passwords for sites if you ask it to. This usually looks like a small box in the login prompt that says 'Remember Me'. Not checking this will require a password each time. Cookies and history will still be saved.

It is also possible to have Safari remember passwords using Settings > Safari > Passwords & AutoFill. Unlike the (Remember Me) checkmark on sites this is permanently stored in a special keychain on the iPad. Not in the semi-temporary cookie for the site.

It is possible to have both private and normal tabs open, but you have to switch back and forth between modes to see them.

yea, I know, to much info.

In the end all that matters is that you've got a method that works, and you're happy with it.

OP
I

islandman

Just about to go to bed when I read your last post, so smiled at the "too much info" as it probably is, ha ha., well until tomorrow anyway.

Most reactions