Who wants their screen rotation button back?

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by newfmp3, Nov 23, 2010.

?

Do you want the Screen Orientation button back?

1. Yes, bring it back!

224 vote(s)
    74.9%
  2. No, I like the mute button.

64 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. I don't care either way

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. There was an orientation button??

4 vote(s)
    1.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure you have an iPad and not an aPad? Mine is on the right hand corner....are you holding it upside down?

2. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    lol .. is there actually an "upside down" when it comes to the iPad? I prefer to use mine in landscape orientation with the home button to the right and the volume and "used to be lock, now some kind of mute" button on the top. That keeps the headphone jack away from my dog who is 90% of the time on my right side. Although, come to think of it, I must confess that unless traveling my iPad is naked without a case. When in the Apple case I suppose the orientation would be 180 degrees reversed. In that case I can see not only the lock switch but also the volume buttons being placed in completely the wrong position for practical use. Hard to believe Apple would have made such a silly design mistake. Too much Peyote for Steve I guess :)

#312 DaveSt, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  3. iPadUser

iPadUser
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Guess your right posion, well I don't hardly use either of them anyways so.....I can't say much about this discussion. To be honest, I am happy with either way.;)

4. irwaffles

irwaffles
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    When I first updated I didn't think it'd be a big deal since that's how I do it on my phone, but my muscle memory is not adapting to this one bit! Not too drastic of a change but if I could I'd want it back to the old setup.

5. xune

xune
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Who exactly was your post directed towards? Just clarifying, as it can be a bit confusing with the amount of responses here.

If it was meant to be towards me, much of what was said seems misdirected.

As a reminder, I'm in the 'don't really care' category, but I did want to point out to those who felt "forced" to doing the update with no access to what the update entailed, that is simply not the case. Our acceptance of the end user's agreement in downloading an update does not mean that we will be happy with the update, in part or in whole. I'm neither a proponent or opponent of the switches functionality, as my OP in this thread states. I don't use the switch hardly enough to care much either way. I do find it preposterous that some would use such extreme examples of emotion to describe their disgust of this change to the point of hating their entire iPad because of it. Of those who remain who truly don't like the switches function in version 4.2, simply can go to an Apple store and get that taken care of, as previously stated, if it really makes the difference between "loving the iPad to hating it" all over a switch! Yes that may be someone's pov on the matter, but go to the Apple store and have the iPad switched to the previous OS if it is really that bad. considering the member had only 2 posts on this forum at the time of making that proclamation, it's quite plausible that he/she was a troll, attempting to further polarize a warm debate. If not, then I personally wonder about how a switch can create such a swing in satisfaction. The function is still there. Had it been removed, or hard to enable, I could see a reason for pitchforks and torches, but I don't. Complaining, yes. That is everyone's God given right. There are much more important things to worry about on an iPad imo. Moving on! :)

6. applelite

applelite
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I really enjoyed able to quickly lock the screen in landscape or portrait... i used it often b/t apps and browser... could we please have the screen lock button back...

7. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I use the apple case so I didn't even think about holding it that way...lol

8. Digital Analogy

Digital Analogy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I'm new to the iPad (only had it about a week) and having that button act as a mute seemed totally useless to me. Now that I know what its original function was, I want it as well.

9. cpking

cpking
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    iPad, iPhone, yada yada

I have an iPhone (3GS right now) and an iPad (32GB 3GS). I don't watch movie on my phone-it's the size of a bar of soap. So locking its orientation is not helpful. I do warch movies a lot on my ioad, and having the screen dlip withi a slight turn is annoying (like when laying in bed for example). However, I do OFTEN need to need to mute imy phone (in church, in meetings, etc.). Bt contrast, I almost never mute my iPad. Holding down the volume switch for 2 seconds quickly handles noise from the iPad.

While I understand the idea of having all "idevices" operate in a similar way, I think the two are used in essentially different ways. I also understand that different people use their devices in different ways, so the brat solution seems to be to make it software choice. we know this is possible, so that would fix the problem.

10. Superbike81

Superbike81
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    People keep saying the screen flips if you turn it even slightly.

Am I the only one who hasn't experienced that? I'm sitting here with it in my hands right now, and even laying it in the slightly propped up position (using the Apple case) sitting in my lap, it takes a nearly complete orientation change to get it to flip around to vertical. The only time it gets confused is if I am laying it nearly completely flat. Why not just hold it up slightly? Or if you are planning on keeping it mostly flat, use the software lock button.

320 posts in this thread and going strong. LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.