What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the max video file size that can be played on a IPad 3?

odonnks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have lots that are under 4 gb that play fine but one that is over 4 gb does not play.

Is the a max size limit?

Thank you !

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you talking about videos bought from iTunes or imported to the iPad from other sources? I ask because I have a high definition movie bought from iTunes on my iPad 3 that is about 7.5 GB. It plays with no problems.

OP
O

odonnks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should have said the movies are stored on a network drive.

I'll try to resize below 4 gb to see what happens.

Thanks !

OP
O

odonnks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe so. I have many DVD rips that are under 4gb and play fine. I have one over 4gb that will not play. If I re-rip the same DVD to a quality which is less than 4 gb it plays fine.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe so. I have many DVD rips that are under 4gb and play fine. I have one over 4gb that will not play. If I re-rip the same DVD to a quality which is less than 4 gb it plays fine.

Is it because the resolution is off, or the wrapper not compatible?

OP
O

odonnks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Resolution is correct and the ripper is compatible. Having used it many times at the highest conversion quality there has never been a problem.

I've been able to replicate this issue with other longer videos that exceed 4gb.
Looks like its the native video iPad video player. I downloaded a third party app called Media Player and after linking to my network drive all videos over 4gb that won't stream using the native video app work fine with Media Player.

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Resolution is correct and the ripper is compatible. Having used it many times at the highest conversion quality there has never been a problem.

I've been able to replicate this issue with other longer videos that exceed 4gb.
Looks like its the native video iPad video player. I downloaded a third party app called Media Player and after linking to my network drive all videos over 4gb that won't stream using the native video app work fine with Media Player.

Thanks, this is a good to know.

Most reactions

Latest posts