What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Web Browsers

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can set it to resume your previous browsing session.
yes, but what does resume mean...
is it going to try to fetch the same webpages from the server again? or is all that state info stored away?

what if you are in the middle of a "stateful" transaction?

suppose you are in the middle of buying airplane tickets and you need to switch to your email or calendar to look something up?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
is it going to try to fetch the same webpages from the server again? or is all that state info stored away?

I've never left it in the middle of a secure server transaction but from what I've seen it re-loads the pages/tabs when you re-open the browser. To do what you describe would take true multi-tasking, which we don't have yet...

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I've never left it in the middle of a secure server transaction but from what I've seen it re-loads the pages/tabs when you re-open the browser. To do what you describe would take true multi-tasking, which we don't have yet...
its my understanding and seems to be true when Ive tested, that ipad Safari already does this: its "allowed" to stay resident, maintain all of its connections, such that you can return to a "stateful" session after jumping to and from another app. Atomic isnt allowed this feature, AFAIK...

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Safari is always reloading, at least on mine. I can't change tabs without the sucker re-fetching te web site; it was one of my biggest gripes.

monkeyboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? Safari is always reloading, at least on mine. I can't change tabs without the sucker re-fetching te web site; it was one of my biggest gripes.
I know that Safari reloads far more than it needs to, but the point is that it is also capable of maintaining a stateful session while you switch to another app, eg email or calendar, then switch back.

I just tried it, went into a secure site, looking at sensitive financial info, etc, jumped into email, then jumped back... session continuity was maintained...

I'm not advocating Safari... if anything, I'm arguing for the need for the ipad to allow real multitasking or at least the ability to maintain stateful sessions and connections for ALL ipad apps (including Atomic), not just Safari.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wasn't assigning you an agenda, I was/am just incredulous. The idea of Safari having an advantage is new and strange. I'll have to try that as well.

x2rider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So is there any way that I can log into our Windows Server 2003 Remote Web Workplace?
When I try to connect to my computer at work I get a msg saying that I need to download an active X and then it kicks me out.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the active x it tries to install is the problem. Can you just use RDP to access?

Most reactions

Latest posts