What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Verizon to Sprint or visa-versa

preemiedadof3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got off the line with Sprint and Verizon about the iPad Mini LTE.

They say you can switch from one provider either way.
Is this correct?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's interesting. I'd like to know more about that. I thought once you purchase a device with one carrier you had to stick with them...unless of course your device is unlocked and it's not carrier specific? is that possible an iPad mini?

What about activation fees? Would you incur the cost of that?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sprint uses the same CDMA technology as Verizon, so the same models should work on both carriers.

Older iPad models had either CDMA or GSM radios for 3G and different frequencies for the LTE radios. You had to buy the right one for your intended network. The newest models of iPads appear to be carrier independent, and will work on both CDMA and GSM networks and on any U.S. LTE network.

Unlike iPhones, iPads have never been locked. It should not be an issue. However, if your carrier is selling the device subsidized, then you should check with them to be sure; though I'm not aware of any carriers that are doing this.

But, to be sure, always contact your carrier and make sure they will support your device and get a statement of what will and will not work. Or check the tech specs of your specific iPad model on Apple's site and make sure your intended carrier is listed.

Apple ? iPad ? Compare iPad models.

In this case it looks like you need a carrier specific model for the older iPad mini, but not the new iPad mini with retina display.

There is no such thing as an iPad mini LTE, by the way. The iPad mini has supported LTE since the first model.

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sprint uses the same CDMA technology as Verizon, so the same models should work on both carriers. Older iPad models had either CDMA or GSM radios for 3G and different frequencies for the LTE radios. You had to buy the right one for your intended network. The newest models of iPads appear to be carrier independent, and will work on both CDMA and GSM networks and on any U.S. LTE network. Unlike iPhones, iPads have never been locked. It should not be an issue. However, if your carrier is selling the device subsidized, then you should check with them to be sure; though I'm not aware of any carriers that are doing this. But, to be sure, always contact your carrier and make sure they will support your device and get a statement of what will and will not work. Or check the tech specs of your specific iPad model on Apple's site and make sure your intended carrier is listed. Apple ? iPad ? Compare iPad models. In this case it looks like you need a carrier specific model for the older iPad mini, but not the new iPad mini with retina display. There is no such thing as an iPad mini LTE, by the way. The iPad mini has supported LTE since the first model.

That was quite helpful, Twerppoet!

Thank you!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keeping an eye on the newest models is something to do while I save my money. Doesn't seem to be helping with my patience though, for some reason. ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts