What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QWERTY Keyboard

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have my keyboard set for QWERTY, however, I have no tab, left/right arrows, etc.

Yes I am a PC user, but there has to be a way to navigate through a document or email without having to backspace (delete) to get to a middle of a word etc.

I am not using a wireless keyboard, only the screen keyboard.

Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have my keyboard set for QWERTY, however, I have no tab, left/right arrows, etc.

Yes I am a PC user, but there has to be a way to navigate through a document or email without having to backspace (delete) to get to a middle of a word etc.

I am not using a wireless keyboard, only the screen keyboard.

Thanks.

If you are trying to edit a document and want to move to somewhere in the body of the document, simply touch the screen at approximately the place where you want to place the cursor and hold your finger at that position for a second. A 'pop up' magnifying glass will appear above your finger that will allow you to move the cursor to a precise location in the document with ease.

Furthermore, if you 'leave' the cursor in the middle of a word, when you remove your finger from the screen the entire word will be selected and a small pop-up menu will appear - 'Select', 'Select All', 'Paste' etc. In addition, the highlighted word will be bounded by two vertical 'bars' that can be 'dragged' horizontally and vertically to select additional text.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
BTW, the QWERTY setting for the Keyboard does not affect the iPad's virtual keyboard at all. It's for mapping a bluetooth or USB keyboard.

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It takes a bit of getting used to, especially if you've relied on a pc mouse and keyboard for a long time, but gradually you begin to master it, it's really ingenious.

In case you don't already know, in iBooks there's a free iPad users manual which covers stuff like this.

OP
tawcat

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I read the user guide and could not find the answer (or I didn't understand).

I appreciate the help, believe it or not, I've seen the magnifying glass, but didn't understand how to use it!!!!!

Being Polish is tough sometimes!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all. I read the user guide and could not find the answer (or I didn't understand).

I appreciate the help, believe it or not, I've seen the magnifying glass, but didn't understand how to use it!!!!!

I have many very dear Polish friends. I live in the North East of Scotland and there are several Polish families in the vicinity.

Tim

ian russell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tawcat said:

My apologies, tawcat. I told you the wrong information. It's true, the User manual doesn't tell you about the magnifier.

However, there's another free book on iBook called iPad2 Starter Guide. In there it does (I knew I read it somewhere). :)

Reaction score
tawcat said:

My apologies, tawcat. I told you the wrong information. It's true, the User manual doesn't tell you about the magnifier.

However, there's another free book on iBook called iPad2 Starter Guide. In there it does (I knew I read it somewhere). :)

It truly is a must read,even for iPad veterans,like my sister, as a trouble shooting guide

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved

Most reactions

Latest posts