What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to make a PAN using a iPhone & a iPad

Adam In NYC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi from Adam in NYC.

I am the happy owner of a iPhone 3GS 32g and a WiFi iPad 16g. I want to do the following:

I would like to have a Personal Access Network using either Bluetooth and/or WiFi maybe using the new Air Extensions.

I want to have a shared apps subdirectory between the 3GS and the iPad. I also want to be able to see all music/video files from one to another. It should also have the ability to make those files read only so there is no accidental deletion of important apps & data. I also want to be able to mount thumb drives and external powered hard drives using the iPhone as the physical mount point.

I have seen it done on Unix but I am looking for a implementation of that on iOS.

How about it.? Any developer takers for a challenge ?

Adam

Exspyguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would go with ifile. It supports a wifi server, but I'm not sure if it will go adhoc. I know there are hacks for ATV2 to use an external storage device via the micro USB port, but it's needed because it doesn't have storage. You have 50gigs between the two so I'm not sure why you would want to anchor a mobile PAN with an external drive that would require power. Perhaps cloud storage would be best. Or perhaps a TC, which would provide the infrastructure for file to browse the file directories of the iDevices, but I'm not sure if they would be able to use the TB HDD for storage...you would need a laptop to facilitate that. If you could get a web server up on the TC, then you could browse the structure from a browser. If you could get FTP services up then you you would be golden...but again....you are anchored to something that has to provide electrons to the TC.

As far as apps go...as long as you purchased the apps thru the app store, you can re download them whenever you want. Before the limitations of app size over 3G got circumvented, I would put Large IPAs on my cloud storage disk and use an ipa installer, but that was before I found out that you don't need everything on your iDevices all the time, just your most used stuff.

Last edited:
OP
A

Adam In NYC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like Celeste but it is still very manual. Still looking for a solution, maybe in a cloud solution. Heard rumors of a cloud based iTunes solution using MobileMe but nothing definite yet......

Most reactions

Latest posts