What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longest dock cable that would sync

thibaulthalpern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to determine what is the safest and longest length for an iPad sync cable. On Amazon, there are several long dock cables but according to some reviewers some of this cables have trouble syncing due to the length. I need to get a dock cable that's longer than what Apple gave.

Reaction score
You can use any male-to-female USB extension cable, as long as the total length does not exceed 5m.

In case, you are interested in the reason

The cable length was limited by a cable delay spec of 26ns to allow for reflections to settle at the transmitter before the next bit was sent. Since USB uses source termination and voltage-mode drivers, this has to be the case, otherwise reflections can pile up and blow the driver. This does not mean the line voltage has fully settled by the end of the bit; with worst-case undertermination. However, there's been enough damping by the end of the bit that the reflection amplitude has been reduced to manageable levels. The low speed cable length was limited to 18ns to keep transmission line effects from impacting low speed signals.
http://www.usb.org/developers/usbfaq/#cab1

You could use longer cables,but would need a powered hub, every 5m.

OP
T

thibaulthalpern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Yeah, i don't want to use a USB extension cable. I actually need another dock cable. The one Aople gave me is already being used with a USB extension cable in my bedroom. I need a dock cable for the office.

I'm surprised then that the long cables I saw on Amazon having trouble were the 6 feet kind. 5m is about 16 feet so 6 foot cable is well under that.

Last edited:

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
VERY helpful, DUMIP! I've wondered about how long a USB extension could get.

If you'll note the total length is limited to 5 meter or approx 16 feet.
If you go to Best Buy for instance you will find a 16' USB extension cable might be in the $30-40 range. I can't remember. Or just go to bestbuy.com
Check out mazon.com

I think the idea of just getting another charger with cable from apple for $15 makes for the best deal. Then you have another charger as well. IMO

OP
T

thibaulthalpern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
VERY helpful, DUMIP! I've wondered about how long a USB extension could get.

If you'll note the total length is limited to 5 meter or approx 16 feet.
If you go to Best Buy for instance you will find a 16' USB extension cable might be in the $30-40 range. I can't remember. Or just go to bestbuy.com
Check out mazon.com

I think the idea of just getting another charger with cable from apple for $15 makes for the best deal. Then you have another charger as well. IMO

Hmm....I don't know where you're getting a charger with USB to Dock cable for $15. I couldn't find any on Amazon or Best Buy. If it were at that price range, it would be good!

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thibaulthalpern said:
I'm trying to determine what is the safest and longest length for an iPad sync cable. On Amazon, there are several long dock cables but according to some reviewers some of this cables have trouble syncing due to the length. I need to get a dock cable that's longer than what Apple gave.

I used the Apple Keyboard extender cable. It works perfectly and looks great as well.

Sent from my interestingcompanionPad using iPF!

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Griffin makes a 3 meter usb to dock connecter cable and they have it at Target for like $29 or $39.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 10' Griffin sync cable from walmart that syncs just fine, and as far as charging, it works great...sometimes I use it with a 6 foot extension bringing the length to 16' and it charges fine.

Most reactions