What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laggy after IOS 6 upgrade.

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After upgrading my Ipad 3 to IOS 6 I find that it is slow to respond to the keyboard with the characters appearing on screen quite a time after the keyboard press. Also it is slow to scroll and is quite jerky. I have never experienced this with IOS 5.:confused:

Any advice will be most welcome!:)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, that's not normal, so this would indicate that something went wrong during the upgrade process. Possibly a corrupt setting / file. It is not unheard of when updating between major versions of IOS, and I've experienced it myself.

The usual fix is to fully backup your device (using iTunes or iCloud, whichever is your preference), use the "restore" button in iTunes on your PC to completely reset the device back to factory settings (this will install 6.0.1 now), and then restore the backup you took once you have completed the setup wizard on the freshly restored iPad (at the very end of the whole process you are given the option of setting the device up "as new" or restoring from backup. You should choose to restore from backup - if you configure iCloud, it will ask if you want to restore your backup from iCloud - answer yes).

Then a full sync with iTunes should normally get you back to where you started, but without the issue you are experiencing!

Depending on how much stuff you have on your device it could take an hour or two all in (less than that if you really don't have too much in terms of apps, media, etc.).

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

OP
fixerman

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, that's not normal, so this would indicate that something went wrong during the upgrade process. Possibly a corrupt setting / file. It is not unheard of when updating between major versions of IOS, and I've experienced it myself.

The usual fix is to fully backup your device (using iTunes or iCloud, whichever is your preference), use the "restore" button in iTunes on your PC to completely reset the device back to factory settings (this will install 6.0.1 now), and then restore the backup you took once you have completed the setup wizard on the freshly restored iPad (at the very end of the whole process you are given the option of setting the device up "as new" or restoring from backup. You should choose to restore from backup - if you configure iCloud, it will ask if you want to restore your backup from iCloud - answer yes).

Then a full sync with iTunes should normally get you back to where you started, but without the issue you are experiencing!

Depending on how much stuff you have on your device it could take an hour or two all in (less than that if you really don't have too much in terms of apps, media, etc.).

Thank you for taking the time to give such detailed and precise advice!:)

I shall set aside a few hours this afternoon and do as you suggest and I will report back!:eek:

atziapras

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe your memory is almost full or downloaded something that causes lag to your iPad.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Webalistic said:
I've experienced the same lag when moving from IOS 4 to 5 on my Ipad 1 and now from 5 to 6 on ipad3.

Did you try the suggested solution in the earlier post?

OP
fixerman

fixerman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have carried out your instructions and everything is performing as it should. May thanks to you and the other contributors to this forum for your help!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have carried out your instructions and everything is performing as it should. May thanks to you and the other contributors to this forum for your help!

You are welcome. Glad you got it fixed.

Most reactions

Latest posts